Jimmy Kimmel's Uncle Frank

Dead at 77

8/23/2011 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0823-uncle-Frank-Potenza-BN
"Uncle Frank" Potenza -- the silver-haired ex-cop who charmed audiences on his nephew's show, "Jimmy Kimmel Live!", died early this morning ... reps from the show have confirmed.

Uncle Frank spent 20 years as a New York City police officer -- before eventually becoming a staple on Kimmel's late night show in 2003.

The show released an official statement on Frank's passing -- saying his "kindness and humor" will be missed.

The show has not revealed Frank's cause of death.

Uncle Frank was 77.

update_bar
10:45 AM: Jimmy tweeted about the situation ... saying, "thank you for your kind words about a very kind man - my Uncle Frank - who passed away this morning."

RobinPickles

That's real sad... a funny man, and always a nice friendly face on the show. Rest in Peace, and comfort to his loved ones.

NickSunset

Those long hours that Jimmy had him working contributed to his death. Poor Old dumb man, to bad it was not Jimmy and his monologue that died.

heather

Nick said:
I say:
NICK YOU ARE A DOUCHEBAG!!! He was funny and great guy. R.I.P Uncle Frank.

ylg

Awww. I loved "Uncle Frank." First Veatrice, now Uncle Frank, dang! I will miss them.

memchee

77 yrs old! This guy sure looked good for his age.

RIP Frank.

blonds

I luved Uncle Frank. RIP.

Arazi

Be careful Guermo...apparently being a security guard on Kimmel is a hazardous occupation. You may want to cut down on the Tacos a bit.

jetfanglo

godspeed "uncle" Frank....he was not just Jimmy's uncle...he was one to all of us fans of the show......

Brenda

Uncle Frank has nice comments here because he was a REAL nice guy and people could see how genuine he was.I will miss seeing him on Jimmy Kimmel.Rip Uncle Frank. My condolences to all the family

laura weil

So sorry for your family, and for you, Jimmy.
You were so comfortable with him on stage with you.
He will always be your angel 'in the wings.'

sharon (Commander Hotel)

Nicky and Sally My Condolences to you and the rest of family
May his soul rest in peace

p1vegasgirl

RIP Uncle Frank. You seemed like a sweet, sweet man. Condolences to Jimmy & his family & show cast members.

kim baker

Man, so very sorry to hear about Uncle Frank, what a funny guy, May you rest in peace, you will be missed alot. SO Funny!!, God Bless Jimmy and his family. Our Love and prayers.

Yak

Uncle Frank seemed dumb as a post which was fodder for all the humor he provided. Sad, I enjoyed him and he seemed like a nice man. That's 2 "security guards" from Kimmel's show to have died recently. Veatrice Rice died a couple of years ago too. I hope and pray Guillermo's not next.

Googie

Uncle Frank will be missed. He was so sweet.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments