'Barbershop' Actor

I Was Kicked Off Plane

Because I'm Black

9/1/2011 11:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0831_united_michael_colyar_getty_EXD

United Airlines is investigating a complaint made by an actor who appeared on the TV show "Barbershop" after he claimed he was kicked off of a flight simply because he was black.

Michael Colyar claims he was booted from his flight at Dulles International Airport in Virginia after he refused to allow a flight attendant to move his luggage from the overhead storage bin ... so a white passenger could stow her bag there instead.

Colyar claims the flight attendant gave him dirty looks when he denied her request -- so he inquired about filing a complaint. That's when Colyar says he was approached by security, who removed the actor from the flight.

Colyar blogged about the incident ... saying, "The flight attendant and her friend got just what they wanted, the n**ger off the plane. I'm sure they feel a great triumph in putting an uppity n**ger in his place."

He adds, "At the least I should be suing United Airlines for theft of services, public humiliation and defamation of character."

United Airlines tells TMZ ... "As a global airline with a diverse workforce, United has zero tolerance for any type of discrimination and we take every such matter seriously. We spoke to Mr. Colyar  Wednesday so that we can address his concerns, and committed to get back to him as we learn more from our coworkers and other customers onboard.”

Sources connected to the incident tell us multiple passengers have been interviewed about the situation -- and several people said Colyar was loud with the flight attendant and had become an unruly passenger.

patty

Oftentimes, a passenger on a plane will put a smaller item, such as a laptop bag, sweater, or briefcase in the overhead bin, instead of stowing it in the space under the seat in front of them. If they run short of overhead bin space, they will ask ANYONE, no matter your ethnicity, to stow your belongings under the seat in front of you, and make room in the overhead bin for someone else's larger item. I wasn't there, but it could be the case this man was overreacting to the flight attendants request to simply move his belongings. If that is the case, this man is just a another hothead on a flight that we all role our eyes at.

juggaloszuch

Doesn't anyone read the rules of airlines anymore...if there is room and someone needs to move a bag from one compartment to another to accommodate then YOU MOVE IT...I'm so sick of tired of black people playing the race card...ITS BEEN 50 YEARS SINCE the civil rights movement....GET OVER IT AND GET TREATED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

Gabriela

I am so sick and tired of the "I am such a poor little ****** and all the bad whites are hating on me"...
Since Obame took office they are all acting up...

Dani

I'm so tired of people screaming racism. It's the first thing that seems to come off some people's lips. Get over it, it's 2011!!! I don't deny that some people are still in the dark ages and are racist, but seriously, a flight attendant on a major airline??? Just trying to move bags around which they do ALL the time! They moved my bag once, I didn't raise my voice, become unruly, make a scene (oh, look at me, I was on TV once!) lol...I simbply said, no problem, make it work however you need to so everyone can get their bags in. But not this guy, scram racism so I can get some money and attention...Whatever pal. I think BET TV and Black Awards Shows and Black Scholarships and Black Magazines and Black Pagents and Black Phone books are racism!! If we had WET TV or White only scholarships, all hell would break loose!! Why is it ok for the reverse???? Again, WHATEVER!!!!

Canada Guy

Dude looks like he has a real attitude. I'm guessing that had more to do with it than anything. I bet the story comes out that the flight attendant asked him to rearrange something and Mr. C. started tossing the N word at them, leading to his removal.

Joe

I'm sure there is a lot more to this story that he forgot to say. I'm sure he was cursing and looking for any excuse to use the race card. blacks need to understand that white could care less about someones color. we dont see people as a color. we see people for what they are. he is writing the N word in his blogs, so obviously he has no problem thinking about race issues. I'm sure this is a case of: have to ever gone to the movies. the only people who are talking throughout the movie and yelling and cursing while other people are trying to watch the movie, are the blacks. if an usher has to tell them to stop talking, they consider it a racial attack because the usher didnt have to talk to the white person in the theather. but reality is, the usher didnt have to talk to the white person, because the white person wasnt breaking the rules. it's all about rules. you don't follow them, you end up getting a beat down by a cop, thrown off a plane, in jail, arrested, etc. follow the rules, you get to go about living your life. pretty simple.

Terri

From what I read I don't see any racism in the article. The only black and white issue is the n***er, as Mr. Michael Colyar called himself. This has more to do with an out of control passenger not the color of anyone's skin.

phillippe

damn black people.. still up to the same ol bulls_it!!

shelley

Unfornunately racism is still alive and well today BUT I doubt that was the case here. He was just being an a$$ and trying now to find an excuse for HIS bad behaviour

James

It's George Bush's fault!

Dave

This guys a joke. I've never heard of him, and he thinks he deserves celebrity treatment. "How DARE you try to move my bag and hat. Don't you know who I AM??" Actually no, d0uchebag, we don't. Although now we do, but only because you acted like a little whiny crybaby. This shouldn't even be news.

PEREZ,SAMUEL aMERICAN

highly dought that .. first he was the plane to biggin with .. .second many of u.s. wish we can get on a plane... with nothing holding u.s. back besides your funky ass smelling cargo space.... we cant even afford a passport.. must havE been RAULLL!!! .......

Bee1

It wouldn`t surprise me if he was drunk. Unruly passengers are not only a danger to themselves, but to passengers and airline crew too.
Skin color doesn`t come into it.

Quinn Stone

You weren't kicked off the plane because you were black it's because you were being an A-hole.Black or white there is no excuse for acting like an ass.

tori

So sick of the race card, they have nothing else to come up with after all this time. The guy was probably nasty and a diva but instead of owning up to the truth the old race card once again floats to the surface. Blah,blah,blah.