Rep. Gabrielle Giffords

AZ GOP Auctions Gun Like

The One Used to Shoot Her

9/3/2011 6:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0903_gabrielle_gifford_jan_BN
So far ... this wins craziest story of the weekend ....The Republican Party in Pima County, AZ is raffling off a gun almost identical to the one used to shoot the Congresswoman in that very same county ... Gabrielle Giffords.

The online newsletter (see below) went out last Friday and features on page 3 a chance to win "a Glock 23 .40 handgun for just 10 bucks." But hang on -- if your name is drawn, you don't just win the gun ... you get "three 12-round magazines, adjustable grips, and a case."

0903_gabrielle_gifford_tall_sub

A Glock 19 handgun was allegedly used by Jared Loughner in an attack on January 8, 2011 that injured 13 (including Rep. Giffords) and killed six.

Michael McNulty, Giffords' campaign manager, told the Arizona Republic he was "struggling for the words to describe my reaction" to the raffle.

The interim chairman of the Pima County GOP told the paper he was surprised at the reaction, saying Rep. Giffords owned a Glock herself and was an outspoken supporter of the Second Amendment. He explained, "That Glock is no more responsible for those deaths and the congresswoman's injuries than a Number 2 pencil is responsible for cheating on a test."

Translation -- guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Real translation -- This guy doesn't have a clue.

update_bar
Interim Chairman Mike Shaw told the Arizona Daily Star that the raffle went so well ... they sold a deer rifle too. U-S-A!!!

Kyle

I can't believe TMZ published this story. Especially with the "this wins craziest story of the weekend" line. You act as though the GOP is raffling off the ACTUAL gun used in the shooting. Do yourself a favor TMZ... fire whoever wrote this article as well as the person who approved publishing it. Making stupid political statements on a celebrity gossip website is ridiculous. First sentence should read, "craziest claim we'll make all weekend".

Joe

Hey, Libertards, "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

F@ggot

harvey is a gay gun hating ******

janet

Isn't that the 2nd Ammendment? The 'Right' to bare arms.

JohnS

TMZ.. please stay out of politics and just keep chasing celebs arounds with your cameras

Vanessa

All I can say is that I'm so very glad I live in Canada. There is something warped about a national mentality that thinks its okay to offer a gun as a raffle prize. The anxiety I feel when traveling in the States stems directly from the fear that every man, woman, granny or teenager I come in contact with quite possibly has a gun stowed in their belt, purse, knitting or backpack. What a way to live!

Big Taters

This story isn't Entertainment or Celebrity. Stick to your gig TMZ, politics ain't ya game.

Frank

It is a different model Glock! So TMZ is saying that ANY Glock should not be raffled. Another brand would be Ok? A gun is just a tool. If you outlaw them, then only outlaws will have guns. Get a grip!

PA

One of the most screwy things about this is people are upset about a perfectly legal raffle of an innocuous pistol, but they are probably completely ignorant about things that the current administration has done, such as Project Gunrunner or even specifically Operation Fast and Furious--wherein government agencies purposely sold about two thousand weapons, including AK-47s, grenade launchers, and high-caliber weapons (e.g. .50 caliber Barrett rifles), to suspected gun smugglers.

Those weapons weren't sold to regular Joes for self-protection. They were used by drug cartel gunmen to kill U.S. and Mexican law-enforcement personnel and those that stood up to them, such as Mario Gonzalez Rodriguez. Where's the outrage over that? Oh, sorry. It's okay when a Democratic administration does something like sell thousands of weapons to suspected gun smugglers, but totally out of bounds for *local* Republicans to raffle an innocuous semi-automatic pistol that anyone can buy at a local gun store (after going through the standard background check). That's why TMZ has an article on that instead o*****overnment operation that used a movie's name. Yeah, that makes complete sense.

AustralianGQ

Gotta love religious people raffling off guns. because we all know guns are such a moral thing in our society.

hooray guns for everyone!!!! lets all kill eachother. god and guns, woooooooooo.

me, myself and I

And the problem is? So should ban that model all together just because? Non issue.

tellmeaboutit

Typical tasteless, hateful move by the GOP. Now that they're completely subservient to America's own fanatics, the tea party, they've seen the last vote they'll ever get from me.

Lola

Giffords apparently owns a gun, too, so, TMZ, why aren't you complaining about her? They all live in a state where gun ownership seems to be run-of-the-mill thing. You city "boys" don't know much. I don't own a gun, before you start insulting me. I just recognize cultural norms. Yes, people kill people, not guns. The guy who shot Giffords was a democrat, liberal, one of her constituents who was mentally ill and angry with her.

Pete Paganucci

Awful this was allowed to happen. I bet Fox News loves it.

CelebJustice

Vanessa: 3 hours ago
**********************************************************
This is one of the very reasons the Japanese didn't attempt to invade the U.S. mainland. Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto said. "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

I'm glad you live in Canaduh too. In fact, there are a bunch of leftwing socialists that I wish would join you. If you feel anxiety traveling to the United States, there's an easy solution.... DON'T!