Reese Witherspoon

STRUCK BY CAR,

Taken to Hospital

9/7/2011 6:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0907_reese_witherspoon_getty2_EXD
Reese Witherspoon
was rushed to a Santa Monica hospital around 11am this morning, after a car struck the actress while she was jogging.

Law enforcement tells TMZ, Reese's injuries were very minor -- nothing life-threatening.

According to law enforcement, the driver was an 84-year-old woman. We're told Reese was crossing the street at the time of the accident ... and the driver failed to stop.

The driver was cited for failure to yield to a pedestrian and released.

update_bar
7:30 PM: A rep for Reese tells TMZ, the actress has since left the hospital and is now resting comfortably at home.

Terri

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Reece.

truefoofan

"Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."

ChuckRock

Tired of hearing about elderly drivers running over someone. 84 yrs old is way too old to be driving. When a young person hits someone, it's usually because they were distracted not because they were way too freaking old and mistook the gas for the break or some crap like that. Some elderly driver just ran into a shopping mall and killed like 3 people the other day. When is enough going to be enough?

gutsygirl

Not that it makes the driver any less guilty but Reese runs while listening to her ipod. Not a smart idea in traffic.

Bea

At the ripe old age of 82 our reflexes are not fast enough and we can't see clear etc.... I realize if older people that don't have someone to drive them to store doctor.s etchave to drive themselves and not everyone lives where there are taxi's or buses. I have a granddaughter that wa***** 2 years ago by an 87 year old while she was walking to school. She was then 14 years old and had every bone broken in her face. She has a shunt in her head for the rest of her life so that her brain doesn't fill up with fluid. A perfectly healthy young lady is now on medication for the rest of her life. She was in the hospital from October until Febuary. She had to learn to do everything all over again. From swallowing to feeding herself to walking etc everything. She was almost on the sidewalk one step away when he got off the side of the road and he said he didn't see her. His liscence was taken from him a little to late. I love my family.

BetterThanYou

Wait, she's a pedestrian? I thought she was American.

tellmeaboutit

Glad she's ok. And for those making nasty remarks about the older driver: last time it was Prince von what's his name being hit by a younger driver, so don't jump to conclusions. Younger males are known to be the most dangerous drivers on the road and that's not even talking about the number of morons texting while driving. The cops handled it, so that's that.

Gale

Yes, Reese has just learned that not everybody will yield before her. I hope the 84 year old is okay, I'm sure this will end her driving career. I think we have a metaphor folks.

raisethetaxesontherich

Best wishes Reese and a speedy recovery.

ray

Glad she is ok, still dont like her country a**. She likes to come off like little miss perfect for me. Look how snooty she looks in the picture. If she holds her nose up any higher she will be sniffin god himself.

CriticXtreme

The 84 year old should have been cited for failure to yield to a pedestrian and giving a fame whore more exposure that she needs and for also giving her additional the career advancement.

blehd

First her career, then her. How appropriate, actually.

Winnie

I expect she deflected the car with her chin.

Finally Reese does something interesting.

Raynes

I'd actually pay to see her being hit by a car. I'd prefer a bus or maybe a tank, but seeing that ****** grape pop would do a lot for me.

nof

...This MIGHT not sound relevant/important, but ...

-Was Reese wearing a sports bra?

nof