Mel Gibson

I'm Making a Jewish Movie!

9/9/2011 2:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0908_mel_gibson_joe_eszterhas_BN
File this under ironic and interesting ...  Mel Gibson is producing a movie that triumphs the Jewish struggle against tyranny ... a movie about the greatest Jewish hero of all time.

Mel's publicist Alan Nierob tells TMZ ... Mel is teaming up with screenwriter Joe Eszterhas (right) -- who wrote the Jewish-themed movies "Betrayed" and "Music Box" -- to produce a movie about Judah Maccabee, the Jewish warrior who defeated the Greek-Syrian armies in the second century B.C.

Mel -- who famously directed the arguably anti-Jewish "Passion of the Christ" in 2004 -- has signed on with Warner Bros., which won out over several other studios that wanted the project.

Nierob says Gibson has been working on the Maccabee project for a decade, but now it's about to become real.

update_bar
Click here for the follow-up story.

chec

Mel's talent would be better utilized on a movie about the USS Liberty

svizzy

too bad. he's a good actor. why such religious themed movie's? i hate religious stuff! especially when it's about jews, christianity and the islam. all bad. not the people just the believe in such things.

Muppet

I will be watching. Mel Gibson does have a way with movies.
Yeah yeah, people will say how can you support him after what he said blah blah blah, but to be honest I think Oksana was far, far worse than Mel. You can bet I'd be angry with her too if she was extorting me and I'd probably say alot of things in anger too. Noone knows how they will react to having to deal with a person like that until they are in that situation. To me she's the evil one and I think she did everything she could to try to bring him down all for $$$. I'm personally glad she failed and still think she should be in prison! It's a good thing Warner Bros. and others reconise Mel for the person he is. :D

don juan

how is passion of the chist anti jewish.

BC

Wow, what a coincidence! NOT!

His last movie went nowhwere.

It's so hard to look at him now, because he used to be so beautiful. He looks way too old for his age. Smoking and drinking will do that to you.

Fat Mike

That would be like Harvey making a film about anyone who's not Jewish or gay

Fuck Celebrities

Judah Maccabee?

Don't you mean the famous Jewish-Scottish bartender?

roll3567

what part will joe pecsi play?

Fat Mike

Apparently it's okay to hate someone who makes a few disparaging comments about Harvey's race, yet you'll get persecuted here for speaking out against the race who murdered Jesus

mousetrap

Any Christian who doesn't think very, very highly of Jews, isn't thinking straight. There is something wrong. There is something seriously wrong. One half of the Christian bible is the Old Testament. Jesus was a Jew. All of the disciples were Jews. The Apostle Paul was a Jew. My goodness, what the hell. King David was the ultimate Jew. The father-ancestor of Jesus. What more do you need.

Cujeaux

Where's Frau Flock? They're letting Mel the Messenger get hammered! I mean, not hammered in the way that Mel is used to getting hammered....

Ira Black you don't count as flock. I get the sense your a male war reenactment junkie who's had a hard on for MM going back to his Braveheart days.

Sonya in Tx

Image rehabilitation FAIL.

WilcoxTom

I just got a $829.99 iPad2 for only $103.37 and my mom got a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with USPS tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or Bestbuy. I sold a 37" HDTV to my boss for $60...0 that I only paid $78.24 for. I use BidsOut.com

angelika466

Yahoooooooooooooooo!,
He's an actor not a racist!!!!!!!!

e

While this is a perfectly appropriate subject for a movie, he is a lousy person to do it. I would nominate Steven Spielberg to direct and produce.