Mel Gibson

Why I Want to Make A

Jewish Hero Movie

9/10/2011 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_mel_gibson_ex
Mel Gibson has a passion for the story of Judah Maccabee, one of the greatest Jewish heroes of all time, but is not doing the movie as an act of contrition.

Sources very close to Mel tell TMZ ... Gibson does not feel the need to bridge a gap between himself and the Jewish community, because he doesn't believe a gap exists.  They say Mel is adamant -- he does not hate Jews, noting that his lawyers are Jewish, his publicist is Jewish, and he has many Jewish friends and employees.

As for Mel's anti-Semitic rant during his 2006 DUI arrest, Mel has written two public letters of apology and also met with numerous leaders in the Jewish community to discuss where he went wrong.

0909_mel_docs
As for the movie, Mel has wanted to produce it for a decade, telling our sources it's actually a statement against corruption in the church.  Mel believes Maccabee's story parallels the modern church, and he thinks the movie will help force change.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

HumanNature

MEL

DO THE MOVIE!!!!

Claus

Enough of this bible crap already. 2011 and the majority of people are still stuck in the stone age. 2011!!!

ohreally

wow, YES!!! I read the Maccabee's books earlier today and was amazed at how the corruption that existed back then has so many striking parallels to the crisis in the Catholic Church today.
I hope and pray this movie will be the catalyst Mel wants it to be!

kcl

Can you spell LOSER? He is a hateful bigot, and has proven that to be fact time after time. He is only being disrespectful to Jews, even after being disrespectful of his Catholicism by breaking his own vows. He doesn't fool anyone but himself, and needs to bury his head further into the sand of Hollywood's elite Malibu sand.

Damon

What's in the well - comes up in the pail!

Those moments were real and came from within him!

He can feel how he wants, but a Jewish studio greenlighting "money" for him on this project is absurd!

D

Wasted time and money.

Mark Nelson

No gap between the Jewish community and Mel Gibson? Bull****! As a Jewish-American fan of film (many Gibson flicks included), I can confirm for him that I (and my very large extended family and network of friends)have refused to view or pay to view his past and future work since 2002. Mr. Gibson will never get my movie-going dollars because he is truly an enemy of my people. Is that enough of a confirmation for you Mel?

Observer

I say go Mel!
And the 'concerned' Jews, I bet Mel does a Great job with that film. You'll be glad he did it.

Think what you want yet you can't deny he's a very talented film maker. Plus it's his, anyone's right to make what they want.

Bubba

I think Mel needs to update the story up a bit to attract younger viewers. Somethin like "Gangsta Jew" or "Rabbi Rapper" would bring really 'em in.

The Real JJ

As much as you want to hate Mel hes still a good movie director and actor.

love your bracelet

Its an unfortunate situation that Mr.Gibson got himself into, and I do not agree with his drunken ramblings.But, all these people attacking him need to ask themselves/ look internally and see if they themselves have ever thought/spoeken nasty thoughts towards someone else...if so SHUT UP. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME" The only real harm that Gibson has inflicted is towards his family members and exwives/ ex-girlfriends and the potential to harm when he was DRIVING DRUNK. GET OVER IT, MOVE FORWARD.

some guy

Get a cir***cision and maybe I'll think Mel is sincere.

What You Really Want To See

Mark Nelson: 44 minutes ago
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't think he was after your confirmation, but thanks for sharing. 'Enemy of my people'? Who the **** are you... Moses?

Mae White

Don't believe this douchebag's lies.

Once an anti Semitic, anti women pig, no matter how "numerous" (how many were there actually Mel?) meetings with Jewish officials, he remains what he has proven himself to be over and over and over again.

driaph

The real bigots owe Mel an apology

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments