'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

Memra

I am truly shocked by this news. He died a gladiator.

TruthFull2000

RIP, my prayers go out to his family, especially his wife and his two kids

BouncersSuck

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adam

RIP......

Anthony

Noel, you're an idiot. Rob, Spartacus started slow but has been a really well done show and gets Starz best ratings. RIP Andy, you will be missed.

Lexi

My heart goes out to his family and all those who cared about him. I was waiting to see what would come next from this awesome actor, I am saddened that he was taken so early from this place. I pray for him and his family.

Stacy

My heart & prayers go out to his family. My sister past away in 1993 after she battled non-Hodgkin Lymphoma for 8 years...

Godzilla68

Like a lot of you out there, I didn't know Andy personally, but through his acting in Spartacus we feel like we got to know a little bit of him as a person.

Andy will be missed, and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

He is now an Angel looking over all of us.

AntiSocialForum.com

Wow that sucks! I was really hoping he'd beat it. You'll be missed buddy.

Diane

that's so said. RIP Andy. last time i read something about him, he was doing well. thoughts and prayers to his wife and family.

vklane

This is so sad. It will be tough filling his shoes. Loved him as Spartacus. He will be missed. Condolences to his family.

sem

Wow, so sad. He made that whole Spartacus series fly! Best wishes to his wife and children.

GreyWolf

My God. He was such an amazing actor. I loved him in Spartacus. I was positive he was going to win this battle. At last his suffering is over. You will be sadly missed but your work will live on forever. I shall pay tribute and watch Spartacus tonight on DVD in memory of a talented and classy actor. My thoughts go out to his family in this time of grief. R.I.P. Andy.

C-unit

So very sorry to his family for their loss. He entertained many and will be deeply missed.

Elayne

This is a tragedy. The show is never gonna be the same without him. At least you gave a good fight against cancer. You shall always be remmebered!!