"Dancing With the Stars"

Shrink Group Cool With Kids

Watching Chaz Bono Dance

9/12/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_chaz_EX_01
Chaz Bono dancing the Cha Cha on TV ... in front of your kids ... will NOT make them want to have a sex change -- at least according to the American Psychiatric Association.

In a recent article, psychiatrist and former talk show host Dr. Keith Ablow suggested kids could develop Gender Identity Disorder (GID) just from watching Chaz on "Dancing With the Stars."

John M. Oldham, M.D. -- the APA President -- acknowledges GID is a psychiatric disorder ... but also told TMZ, "There is no evidence that viewing a television game show with a transgender contestant would induce Gender Identity Disorder in young people."

aston

No, kids won't develop Gender Identity Disorder from watching Chaz Bono in DWTS. Neither will they be overweight or become bad dancers! ;)

dimes

You also have to consider the source of the hysteria - some talking head on Fox News. They hate everybody.

Josie green

This is the most ridiculous post that tmz has ever put on their website. If there are actually people who believe that seeing a transgendered person will turn you into a transgendered person, this country is more idiotic than I already believed it to be. My lord people, grow some brains before posting a ludacris and meaningless article like this on your website. I am personally more concerned with my children watching big breasted plastic surgeried brainless women on the insane shows like the real housewives. I would much rather have my child want to be like Chaz Bono than one of those brain dead gold digging indoors. So stop with the bigotry, tmz!

FruitSalad

No because the show is a lie. There is no "stars" on the show.

Casey Anthony

Gross

Peter

RE: "...the APA President acknowledges GID is a psychiatric disorder..."
Yeah and back in the day they also said that being gay could be cured and was criminal.
Gawd...has NOTHING changed?!?

Dick Fontaine

Watching Chaz Bono dance won't make me want to change sexes, however it probably will make me want to change the channel (if he's as bad a dancer as some have claimed)

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

If I didn't want my kids to see something on tv, I wouldn't let them watch it. Though, this is the kind of situation where I would have told them that there are all kinds of people in the world, just because somebody is different than you--doesn't make you better than them. Don't need a psych to tell me that my kids can't catch the gay.

jdk27110

I AM WORRIED THAT IF MY ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD SON (WHO IS STARTING TO SHOW EFFEMINATE TRAITS) WATCHS TRANSGENDERED CHAZ BONO ON "DANCING WITH THE STARS", THEN MY ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD SON WILL DO SOMETHING RASH LIKE CUTTING OFF HIS OWN PENIS IN ORDER TO BECOME A WOMAN.

Truth

I WOULDNT LET THE KIDS WATCH FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THE SHOW SUCKS BALLS (NO PUN INTENDED)!! NEXT. TRUTH!!!

Preserve the Tiger

I WILL NEVER WATCH DWTS AGAIN! The powers-that-be lack morals, which is very obvious by their choice of contestants. I am totally disgusted with Chasity/Chaz or whatever it's called! His type goes totally against the Bible! A lot of children watch these type shows; therefore, the powers-that-be should have more contestants that are great examples, and Chaz, and his type, are NOT!

Claire

I don't think it's going to make my kids want to change sex - I am more concerned that the only "backstory" they can do on Chaz is "I was once a girl and now I want to be a boy" which will cause a young child to ask alot of not age appropriate questions regarding sex. I think, as a parent, I should have the appropriate conversations regarding sex and sexual issues when I find it to be appropriate, not because a tv show has an agenda to push something that is not "Family programming" appropriate.

Al R.

I would not let my kids watch it.....because it is a crappy show.

veath

The American Psychiatric Association should be worried about her mental health, not kids watching tv

buck

it's a lot healthier than watching nancy grace