"Dancing With the Stars"

Shrink Group Cool With Kids

Watching Chaz Bono Dance

9/12/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_chaz_EX_01
Chaz Bono dancing the Cha Cha on TV ... in front of your kids ... will NOT make them want to have a sex change -- at least according to the American Psychiatric Association.

In a recent article, psychiatrist and former talk show host Dr. Keith Ablow suggested kids could develop Gender Identity Disorder (GID) just from watching Chaz on "Dancing With the Stars."

John M. Oldham, M.D. -- the APA President -- acknowledges GID is a psychiatric disorder ... but also told TMZ, "There is no evidence that viewing a television game show with a transgender contestant would induce Gender Identity Disorder in young people."

phishgirliu

I think that it takes a lot of courage to stand up for something that you believe in. I don't see how Chaz Bono dancing on a TV show would make kids question their own gender. If you didn't know he was a girl before, there is no way you would ever guess... Let HIM dance on the show with no worries! And if you have a problem with him and the show? DON'*****CH IT... there are plenty of people out there that don't have an issue with it, and still want to enjoy it.

Marcia63

I think that if you're going to make ignorant, stupid, racist, and completely backwards remarks about a person you've never met, you should at least learn to write properly. To those supposedly "Christian" persons who had nothing but mean things to say, take the planks out of your eyes... Grow up people, and learn some respect. Hitler had similar theories about other human beings... and mercifully, he later shot himself in the head... lastly, if you don't want to watch, or let your children watch, turn the f...ing channel, that's why they invented the remote.

AntiSocialForum.com

I have Human Identity Disorder. Seeing some of you freaks on TMZ makes me uncomfortable and disgusted to be a human.

washout22

ITS A MAN BABY!?????
It wouldnt matter if that pig was a man or woman because nobody would want to go out with that pile of fatback in my neiborhood. Before she got a weiner sewed on they probly had to roll her around in the flour just to find the wet spot.

And how if this fat slob even considered a star????? Is it now called dancing with a freak show, or dancing with a disturbed fat pig with a mental disorder? People need to learn that your action does not dictate societies definitions.

I am Spartacus

i wouldn't let my kids watch the show because i don't want them wasting their time watching a bunch of nobodies dancing on some stupid show. There is no entertainment value watching irrelevant people dance. As much as ABC will try to make or convince you they are relevant, they aren't.

Johnny Handsome

my grandmother had hair on her chin,
does that make her a man?.

mag

psychiatric disorder: Also Known As: psychological disorder, psychiatric condition, mental illness. She has a mental illness, it's not something you "catch" like a cold, but it is wrong to exploit it.

Zoe Brain

Maybe this will help understanding. I can only try....

Sexual Hormones and the Brain: An Essential Alliance for Sexual Identity and Sexual Orientation Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35

The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. However, since sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy, these two processes can be influenced independently, which may result in extreme cases in trans-sexuality. This also means that in the event of ambiguous sex at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the degree of masculinization of the brain. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation.

Soundbyte: Chaz was born with a Boy brain in a mostly Girl body. An anatomical difference, visible on MRI and PET scans.

Stupid People Hater

I wouldn't let my kids watch but not because this man-woman is in it. I wouldn't let them because the dances are very sexual and my kids are still quite young.

indignant moose

Whose kid is this anyway Sonny and Cher had jet black hair not blonde. Its obvious she has mental issues going on and needs extensive therapy before she harms herself further.

kittykittykitty

I won't let my kids watch ths show because it is mind numbing television and I would like to maintain their IQs. Rock on, Chaz, do your thing.

Voice O Reason

I wouldn't let my kid wath 'cause this show is stupid. I have yet to see all of this "controversy" that you "media" outlets keep telling us about.

Dustin

Could someone explain to me how this works? SHE is a man but with a vagina? Defies logic and definitions, doesn't it?

Dustin

Could someone explain to me how this works? SHE is a man but with a vagin? Defies logic and definitions, doesn't it?

Jimmy Loroko

I wouldn't let my kids watch DWTS no matter who is on it.