George Stephanopoulos

Too Short for Morning TV?

9/12/2011 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_gma_EX
George Stephanopoulos
could lose his "Good Morning America" anchor chair within a year to the news reader who towers over him ... this according to network sources.

The buzz at ABC is that Josh Elliott -- a former ESPN sports anchor who has been the GMA news reader since March -- is on the fast track for the anchor seat.  Josh filled in on "World News Tonight" last week and network suits are in love with him.

The network will deny it's contemplating a change, but that's not what we're hearing.

The ratings at GMA have actually gone up a bit with George, so why would the network mess with the show?  Our sources say the suits think Josh and Robin Roberts have better chemistry and look better together.

Our sources say the buzz is that George could go back to his old job, anchoring "This Week," especially because execs privately now admit Christiane Amanpour is a disaster as an anchor.

Now why, you ask, do they look better than Robin and George?  Robin is 5'10" without heels.  Josh is around 6'3."  George is 5'6" ... and a half.  There's a lot of talk at ABC that it just looks awkward when the male anchor is slight and short.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

update_bar
7:55 AM: An ABC News spokeswoman tells TMZ, "This is Total Nonsense."

0912_little_people_footer

TheVolleyballGod

They should make that hobbit ferry wear heels

yessir

I loved Robin's Chris Brown interview! She was so scared she was stuttering.

knickfan212

He is short but I didn't know height was a requirement.
ABC is off the wall anyway. They fire the wrong people, cancel the wrong shows. People are talking about boycotting ABC for taking off the soaps.

tbrash

I'd love to watch George and Elizabeth Vargas every morning - they have good chemistry - she's much more engaging. Dont get me wrong - Josh stays!!! .. with Lara too - she's a welcome re-addition.

Delle LeClair

Is it legal to discriminate based on the height, Hollywood or not!

sara

dont talk sh** about george!! hes the man..no matter how short he is. Very classy addition to GMA so if he goes a lot of people will go!!

Darlene

I hope this is completely false. George has given the show some credibility, he can handle to serious news and knows what he is talking about, plus he has loosened up and can show some humor without being goofy. I do also like Josh, however, I would reteam George before Robin. As Robin has become the senior on the morning panel she has become loud and obnoxious. It seems at times that she is trying to talk over the others, reminding me of the attention-seeking kid in a classroom. Keep George, ax Robin.

Delle LeClair

It is illegal to discriminate based on height, Hollywood or not!

Mikey

Fire everyone but George and hire midgets to work with him.

Whatevs

I'll admit I'm watching it more now that Josh is there. I really like George, am lukewarm about Robin and LOATHE Sam. Lara doesn't belong on that type of show.

Mikey

Or fire everyone and put on monkeys chewing gum with midgets doing the voice over work.

Cause midgets need dough like anyone.

Areader

Robin is 5'10" without heels, Josh is around 6'3" and George is 5'6". So, the question begs to ask....what's Harvey measuring up to these days when he's not standing on his foot stool....5'4" maybe!

Butterfly

OH,MY GOD!!! So now, ABC has belittled themselves by placing intelligence against height??? DUMB! DUMB! DUMB!!!
It seems obvious there are some elements who have been hatching this underhanded scheme for some time in favor of Elliott. Is he gracious enough to turn down the offer? I don't think so! He has probably been in on it, too! George SAVED that show when Diane left and this is the way they thank him. How about REPLACING the SWELL HEADED SUITS, instead? These people have too much authority, don't they?

Ace

I could do without Robin. I'd rather see her replaced.

PokerStar

If George is doing a great job as an anchor, GMA might be in trouble if they fire him for his physical attributes, or lack of in this case. We have laws against discrimination here. I'm sure George has an attorney or two on stand-by as it is, so GMA better tread carefully here.