George Stephanopoulos

Too Short for Morning TV?

9/12/2011 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_gma_EX
George Stephanopoulos
could lose his "Good Morning America" anchor chair within a year to the news reader who towers over him ... this according to network sources.

The buzz at ABC is that Josh Elliott -- a former ESPN sports anchor who has been the GMA news reader since March -- is on the fast track for the anchor seat.  Josh filled in on "World News Tonight" last week and network suits are in love with him.

The network will deny it's contemplating a change, but that's not what we're hearing.

The ratings at GMA have actually gone up a bit with George, so why would the network mess with the show?  Our sources say the suits think Josh and Robin Roberts have better chemistry and look better together.

Our sources say the buzz is that George could go back to his old job, anchoring "This Week," especially because execs privately now admit Christiane Amanpour is a disaster as an anchor.

Now why, you ask, do they look better than Robin and George?  Robin is 5'10" without heels.  Josh is around 6'3."  George is 5'6" ... and a half.  There's a lot of talk at ABC that it just looks awkward when the male anchor is slight and short.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

update_bar
7:55 AM: An ABC News spokeswoman tells TMZ, "This is Total Nonsense."

0912_little_people_footer

Jedi warrior

Television is a business about looks, hands down. Don Henley sang it best in the song 'Dirty Laundry'. But for the most part, men can get away with grey hair, wrinkles and more weight than woman except for ' The View ' those woman are FUGLY! Why don't they just get George a pair of heels!

nancy

I think they should replace Robin Roberts with Elizabeth Vargas. She has so much more chemistry with George and she looks so comfortable and confident sitting in that chair than Robin does....sorry but Robin is boring! They better not get rid of him!

TibbieMom

Just about the dumbest thing I've ever read.

happypat35

I don't think ABC is stupid enough to fire someone because of their height---that's discrimination. Robin and George both need to go or Robin could do sports-she's too awkward and boring for an anchor position and plus she talks like she has a mouth full of kleenex. I like Josh-he's personable and humorous. Let the gay weatherman go and get a black weatherman, like in the past...bring back Spencer (who Robin hated). George should be the news reader...I am glad they are not 100 percent political when George first came aboard.

Ken

Josh Elliott from ESPN hosting Good Morning America? What's next? Cris Collinsworth replaces Matt Lauer on Today?

Revler

@ Two Cents - Are you f*cking crazy? Heightism is a serious form of discrimination. Wake the f*ck up and get a clue! You most likely campaign that it isn't because you aren't on the affected end.

Virginia Ellison

Why could they not have fired the tall anchorwoman and hired an average height woman reporter? George is a wonderful political analyst.

Jonathan

I am SO SICK of how for the last 20 years, the concept of the "BBW" and "Plus Sized" woman has been shoved down our throats ad naseum. We've had to watch people like Oprah, Star Jones and Roseanne on our sets and accept this beauty. However, short men are still frowned upon, laughed at, not taken seriously and discriminated against in most situations.

What message does this send to all of the younger boys who will grow up to be short because of their genes or some other reason? Do you tell them to give up and not even try because no one will take them seriously anyway? There are a lot of us short men out there. In dating, both short and average sized women all prefer taller men.

We get shafted romantically AND professionally. This has got to stop. Why should it matter that George is shorter than his co-anchor. Why is shortness acceptable in women but not in men?

Wexford Girl

George is just stiff. Why do they have him interview celebs and people of pop culture? It is awkward. He is too political! Josh just drops his voice after each comment and piece that he reads. HE just won't shut up either. Adding his little sidebars after the panels comments. Just be quiet! I think he thinks he is cute and funny! ah no. I like Robin and Sam!

henry a. chavis

ROBIN ,OH ROBIN I LOVE YOU SO MUCH,FOR WHAT YOU DONE IN YOUR LIFE,THE BIG C,COULDNT STOP YOU,AND YOU LOOKED IT IN THE EYE, AND SAID,NO WAY ARE YOU GOING TO STOP ME.I HAVE THE BIG C NOW BUT I LOOK AT YOU EVERYDAY,AND SAY IF SHE CAN,I CAN,SO I WONT TO THANK YOU WITH ALL MY HEART,I LOVE YOU, AND I THINK OF YOU EVERYDAY,YOU ARE A STAR IN MY LIFE, AND I WILL FOREVER LOVE YOU.THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU, ROBIN

maria

Since when the height had something to do with brains? I wish I had his brains and his class..he is professional , witty ,he is smart and he is class!! That is what we need in those shows they had a bunch of idiots who just want to be famous ......not one takes Dianne Sawyer place .

gino frater

Victoria Liss::There are Must be a reason for the no tipping and the note......who knows..maibe she did not treat the custumer as she should ? Remember No one kicks a dead dog !!

Nicci Surtees

Robin Roberts is terrific - she's so boring I turn off the television and go for a walk - much more enjoyable.

john

The, truth be known George is to intelligent for a morning show on any station, I think he is the best news man on TV. as for Robin people like her a dime a dozen,Josh as I observe is to stuck on himself. Enough said.

Cookie-o

This is the dumbest article I have ever seen on the web! George Stephanopoulos is a brilliant political reporter.