Reese Witherspoon Accident

Driver Feels 'Awful,'

Says Intersection is Dangerous

9/12/2011 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0910_reese_witherspoon_getty_EX
The 84-year-old woman who hit Reese Witherspoon with her car says she feels awful about the situation ... but also thinks there's a big problem with the intersection where the accident happened.

According to a family member, the woman thinks the Santa Monica corner is especially dangerous because there's a large tree blocking sight lines for drivers.

We're also told she was very shaken up by the accident -- and had no idea she had hit an Oscar winner when it all went down.

The family member says the woman has stayed off the road since the accident. The citation she received requires her to retake her driving test. She plans to do so as early as today ... and is due in court October 7.

Athina

So there was a tree between her and Reese Witherspoon? Time to hang up her driving gloves. Maybe she'll fail the driving test.

karen darvin

my momis 81 and just voluntarily decided to stop driving. then i cut 3 tendons in my hand to my fingers and can't drive for going on 4 or 5 weeks now. I have 3 rehab sessions a week and my mom has to drive me as well as to the store etc.Besides losing their quuickness etc older people get very nervous about driving, hence the way many of them drive annoyingly slow. but since she's nervous and we are out of areas she is familiar with i watch out very carefully too.and believe me, oder people are not the only bad d rivers out there, plenty of younger people and middle aged with a get out of my way attitude or people that pull out or over suddenly, no changing signal, my mom does her best and i agree after this it is best if she doesn't drive. but how about all of you loudmouths out there complaining ask an older neighbor if they ever need a ride or you can pick up something at the store for them?Maybe they need a little company and you could take them to lunch too. We are a society and our elders are a part of it.Oh, and that pedestrians in the crosswalk thing having the right of way, I wait a second anyway and plenty of drivers of fall ages in a hurry disregard that one two

Sydney

Excuse. The tree was in my way. How many drivers daily pass the intersection, with the trees, and do not hit a pedestrian (star or not)? Take responsibility for your negligence and be thankful you are not being sued. I bet if you had been hit (however minor) by Reese, you would take her to the cleaners.

northern gypsy

i live in a neighbourhood with lots of seniors who still drive...
before i take my foot off the curb i ALWAYS try to make eye contact...
anyways...it's always a good idea at any intersection...

Susan

"...she had no idea she hit her." That says it all! I hope the driving test includes both a written test and behind the wheel test. My father hung up his keys when he turned 76 because he said his eyes were getting bad and he was afraid he might hurt someone. While he continues to build beautiful additions to his home, he does NOT drive. It's called being a responsible adult.

lee

STOP w/ the age discrimination already.
Live long enough and you'll go through it too.
So KNOCK IT OFF, FOOLS! What goes around comes around!

teebag

First off, it takes two to have an accident. Neither one was watching where/what they were doing. Secondly, if it's such a bad intersection with obstructed views... then go a different route. Not rocket science. Moral to the story. When jogging, don't assume people SEE you.

sheila

@ susan ... she had no idea she hit AN OSCAR WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL ... practice your reading skills please and then comment. I think Ms Witherspoon did not sue because she knew she was partially to blame. It is EASY for a tree to hide a pedestrian who is about to cross the street in front of a car turning the corner. Ms. Witherspoon was prob on her head phones and didn;t even bother to look before crossing the street.

DEFA

gosh, so many of you in here are so CRUEL! ....An 84 years old can be a very competent driver - you no nothing about this person or if, in fact, there is a large tree blocking the view - I hope when you vicious people are 84, someone is kinder to you

gutsygirl

Th jogger has a certain responsibility, too. Reese jogs with her IPOD and that, too, is dangerous in high traffic.

JBDragon

The 84 year old driver is at fault! Doesn't matter if RW run in front of the car. She was in the cross walk and had the right away. Even with a tree, the cross walk goes all the way across the street! Your suppose to stop! How about if that was a kid running across the street? 84, time to give up driving!!! Yes, I know it's a hard thing to do, but if this doesn't make the case, nothing will.

laura

YEAH, I'M SURE BEING 84 FREAKING YEARS OLD HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. TURN IN YOUR CAR KEYS, GRANNY. IF YOU ARE GOING TO HIT SOMEONE, MAKE IT PARI******ON OR KIM KARDASHIAN, OKAY?

j

Is that like the elderly man that sped his car onto a street that was closed baracaded off for Market day and ran over a bunch of people killing some before he stopped only to find out he was running away from another accident he caused? Just maybe, She needs to see an eye Doctor too.

Tammy

It's so NOT about her being a hollywood star. This unfir driver coud've left children without their mother, parents without their child and a man without his wife. And I'm sure the tree just cae out of nowhere!! Idiot!!

k

Blame the intersection? Come on, Old Lady. I have a full proof way of never hitting a pedestrian. If you see one walking, don't hit her. Works everytime.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments