Reese Witherspoon Accident

Driver Feels 'Awful,'

Says Intersection is Dangerous

9/12/2011 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0910_reese_witherspoon_getty_EX
The 84-year-old woman who hit Reese Witherspoon with her car says she feels awful about the situation ... but also thinks there's a big problem with the intersection where the accident happened.

According to a family member, the woman thinks the Santa Monica corner is especially dangerous because there's a large tree blocking sight lines for drivers.

We're also told she was very shaken up by the accident -- and had no idea she had hit an Oscar winner when it all went down.

The family member says the woman has stayed off the road since the accident. The citation she received requires her to retake her driving test. She plans to do so as early as today ... and is due in court October 7.

TiffC

She's blaming a tree? OK... will, ahh... STOP DRIVING YOU OLD BAT!!!. 'I didn't know I hit an Oscar winner' --- how the f*ck would ANYone knew they hit an Oscar winner (unless it was Whoopi and she'd get out of her car and go all lesbo on yer ass!).

R

In my neck of the woods, you have to be on high alert and have eagle eyes to see if pedestrians are trying to use the crosswalk. Why? Because of all the damn SUVs parked along the sidewalk and totally blocking your field of vision. It's ridiculous. Oh, and guess what? Even with a group of people we don't cross unless we make sure all the cars HAVE STOPPED BECAUSE THEY SEE US.

sheila

I think Ms Witherspoon did not sue because she knew she was partially to blame. It is EASY for a tree to hide a pedestrian who is about to cross the street in front of a car turning the corner. Ms. Witherspoon was prob on her head phones and didn;t even bother to look before crossing the street.

Sherms

@mitz: I have to think that line was the person writing the article...not the actual lady saying those exact words

surfdocer2

sue her Reese. Betcha the jury won't blame the intersection!

iamfree

Wow, not much prejudice against seniors here today, huh? Fact...seniors are 4-5 times LESS like to have an accident as 16-21 years olds. Get a grip, folks. This was an accident--they happen every day to all age groups. Ms. Witherspoon is taking the high road...good for her. Sounds like she has her priorities in the right place.

PokerStar

Where are the pics of the tree TMZ? Y'all slippin again, I see. Why is it ALWAYS someone else's fault when people get into a jam? At least she will have to prove to DMV that she is able to see, remembers the rules of the road and can still control a motor vehicle.

I hope Reese recovers fully as well.

me not you

First of all, no one over the age of 75 should be on the road - period.

Secondly, there are tons of dangerous intersections in this country. I wa***** by a truck 6 years ago walking across the street. Lost an ankle because of it and I'm on disability for my head injury. Still, I'd go through it again for another $300k settlement!

tc

I agree the elderly lady is to old to be driving, but as much as i feel for reese i feel compassion for the elderly woman also. The reason why i say this is because when a person becomes old they still want to be known as independent person, and not feel like a burdent on a love one, and a lot of time when that is taken away they become very depressed.

buxxy

Big problem with the intersection? No, big problem with the 84 year old driver. That would be your problem right there.

Shannon

yeah blame the old lady where it's Reese's fault too for no*****ching where she was crossing the road. So it's both's fault not just the 84 year old lady.

tc

bernie williams

I lived at that corner for 15 years and within a short time of moving there in 1995 I could see that the intersection was very dangerous. In both directions the intersection is blind as the road goes up hill towards it. I canvassed the entire 20th Street and Georgina to get signatures for me to send to the Santa Monica authorities. I was very successful as all agreed. So I sent the signed letters together with a letter requesting that four stop signs be placed at Georgina and 20th Street which I would pay for and that a Police speed box be also placed as cars use 20th street to cut through 20th Street from San Vicente to Wilshire at dangerous speeds. It is also a family community with young children. The response from Santa Monica Council was that they DID NOT CONSIDER THIS INTERSECTION DANGEROUS AT ALL AND MY REQUEST WAS DENIED. I also wanted to let Reese Witherspoon know this and called her agent. The assistant who answered the call hung up on me when I started to explain this. I called back and asked did you hang up on me she responded by saying your message is IRRELEVANT! Shame on her in misrepresenting Reese Witherspoon in such a rude and uncaring way. Bernie Williams. Producer.

bernie williams

I lived at that corner for 15 years and within a short time of moving there in 1995 I could see that the intersection was very dangerous. In both directions the intersection is blind on 20th Street as the road goes up hill towards the intersection. I canvassed the entire area of 20th Street and part of Georgina to get signatures for me to send to the Santa Monica City authorities. I was very successful as all agreed. About 50 homes. I sent these letters together with a personal letter requesting four stop signs be placed at Georgina and 20th which I would pay for and for the police to place a speed box as cars use 20th street to cut through from San Vincente to Wilshire at dangerous speeds. This is also a family community with young children and pets. The response from the City was that they DID NOT CONSIDER THIS INTERSECTION DANGEROUS AT ALL AND MY REQUEST WAS DENIED. I also wanted Reese Witherspoon to know this and called her agent. The assistant who answered the call hung up on me as I was explaining this. I called back and asked her did she hang up? She responded by saying that my message was IRREVELEVANT! Shame on her in misrepresenting Reese Witherspoon in such a rude and uncaring way. Bernie Williams. Producer.

bernie williams

I lived at that corner for 15 years and within a short time of moving there in 1995 I could see clearly that this intersection was very dangerous in both directions. Cars cut through 20th Street from San Vicente to Wilshire and the City usually at fast speeds. This is a family community with children and pets. The intersection is on a slight hill so when approaching it from either direction on 20th Street you cannot see the other side of the intersection. It is a blind spot so anyone walking across the opposite side will not be seen.

Because of this I canvassed the immediate area and obtained about 50 signatures from the residents who agreed with me. I sent these signed do***ents together with a personal letter requesting that 4 stop signs be erected there and if necessary would pay for them myself and that a police speed box be placed to check car speeds. The response from the SM City was that THEY DID NOT CONSIDER THIS A DANGEROUS INTERSECTION AND MY REQUEST WAS DENIED.

I also wanted Reese Witherspoon to have this information and called her agent. The Assistant who answered hung up on me as I was explaining the above. I called back and asked did you hang up on me? She said my message was IRRELEVANT! Shame on her in misrepresenting Miss Witherspoon in such a rude and uncaring way. Its tough these days to get anyones attention! Bernie Williams. Producer

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments