Ryan O'Neal

"Dancing with the Stars"

Was Just Too Grace-Full

9/12/2011 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0823_ryan_oneal_nancy_grace_ex_2
Ryan O'Neal said he backed out of "Dancing with the Stars" because of a bad knee, but multiple sources connected with the show tell TMZ ... he REALLY backed out because he can't stand Nancy Grace.

Sources tell TMZ O'Neal feels Grace has been "disrespectful" to his family ... claiming she has gone after Redmond, who has had ongoing drug problems, and even suggested the reason Redmond is messed up is because Ryan is a bad parent.

We're told Ryan really wanted to do the show, but could not co-exist with Grace.

SantaFeJack

The most despised woman on television today. And I don't think she is horrible as an act...she really is a wretched, abusive person.

Mikey

Great Dad!

"How is your sobriety?" he teases. "I have got a bottle of tequila upstairs with your name on it!"

Leaves Tatum -- who he calls "Tantrum" -- in tears.

Brian

Nancy Grace looks like a Dude in drag, and her show is worse than the National Enquirer. TRASH

Mikey

Yea, its all Nancy Graces fault! Ryan O'Neal quote: "I'm a hopeless father," he told Vanity Fair not long ago. "I don't know why. I don't think I was supposed to be a father. Just look around at my work -- they're either in jail or they should be." In 2007, the burly actor fired gunshots at son Griffin, whose pregnant wife got whacked in the head with a fireplace poker during the melee. That's after he allegedly knocked several of the boy's teeth out in 1983. "Griffin was a hard case," he tells the camera. "My own son, and I never got along with him very well."

Damon

Good to see he finally has some moral standards at 70yrs old. NOT!

When you hit on your own child at funeral and all of your kids are addicts - means you're a ******* bag!

Jan

Nancy Grace said the truth about Redmond. Truth hurts a fatherlike Ryan who set a horrible example for his sons and daughter. NOW Ryan gets paid to trash Grace like he got paid to exploit Farrah's cancer.I would NO*****ch Ryan on DWTS

Jan

Alex

Talk about dysfunctional DWTS! Multiple characters with multiple issues.

Mikey

Yea its Nancy Graces fault.

Redmond quote about Ryan:

Half-brother Redmond -- the sole heir to his mother's $6 million estate -- told Vanity Fair O'Neal was nothing more than a gold-digger: "My dad's only goal was to make sure he would be in the will. It was so disgustingly transparent as soon as he found out she was terminal. I consider him a vulture presiding over a carcass."

Shelley

Good, I'll watch just because this loser isn't on it.

Crabbey

The truth hurts, eh Ryan?

mary

Chalk one up for Nancy.

O'Neal ranks side by side with Chaz for s***.

Mikey

Now who will DWTS get to play the abusive father part?

katielady

PULEEEZ! He is a narcissist, always has been.. Pushed Farrah around during their marriage and pushed himself into her diary of her journey.. I could go on..

kim

he needs to get over himself. he does suck as a parent...