« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

I Regret US Open Outburst

9/13/2011 12:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0912_serena_williams_getty_ex
Serena Williams is telling friends ... she's sorry about her outburst during the women's final at the US Open yesterday -- when she berated a referee for penalizing her at a crucial point in the match.

Sources extremely close to Serena tell TMZ ... the tennis star feels like she got lost in the heat of the moment -- and simply believes her emotions got the better of her.

Serena was fined $2,000 for the outburst -- but sources tell us, the tennis star is less concerned about the money than she is about getting her game back on track.

Calls to Serena's rep weren't returned.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Mikey

She's right up there with Ron Artest who after punching a fan in the stands who was verbally taunting him said this:

I'm still ghetto. That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture.

Represent.

AntiSocialForum.com

A persons true colors come out when they're under stress. This just shows the world how ugly Serena Williams is inside.

RealityBites

Well, of course she does, she got fined for it and bad press...stupid manly girl.

moe l.

Humans can control their emotions....

TMZ Is Destined To Be The Next News of The World

That's what's up Serena. Reasonable people recognize when they are wrong and apologize when they are wrong. Whether the apology is accepted or not is not her problem. She did her part.

Muppet

Alot of people are trying to make it sound as if noone ever gets angry in sports. What a joke! She's no different than alot of other people that get caught up in the moment when the adrenalin is pumping. Time to let it go already.

You guys suck

Serena is the definition of classless. Anyone who's actually been watching tennis for a long time knows this. Those of you making up excuses for her most likely no nothing of the sport and are simply siding with her because you don't know what you're talking about. There's a reason she's THE ONLY ONE who has these problems in the last few years. I CANNOT WAIT for the Williams sisters to be out of tennis forever.

Tom

"All these anabolic steroids make me go crazy sometimes.

paystub

This is TMZ, not NEWS

Marigny

IMO, Serena didn't overreact. I'm a pretty logical and level-headed person and a huge tennis and Serena fan. I can understand her frustration and don't think her comments were as harsh as everyone's trying to make them sound.

Ann Morgan

Serena is an embarrassing representation of America in the sports arena. She is a poor sport, a bully and a repeat offender. USTA did not do its job in reprimanding her and I, for one, will no longer be a fan.

B Slauterson

You are suppose to be a professional athlete and role model.Next time think before you speak.

snowcat

Serena is a self-centered,entitled *******,who if things don't go her way she lashes out at the lines people or umpires.This is the second outburst at the US Open and I think she should be banned from the US Open.She obviously has the ATP in her pocket...only receiving a $2000 fine for this infraction.I won't even get into how she made it back to #27 so quickly after being out for over a year.

LaClaire

I'm assuming if ANYONE is familiar with the rules of tennis, it's Serena Williams. It was a blatant violation of the intentional hindrance rule. She yelled out as Stosur was about to hit the ball. Yep, it was done in the heat of the moment. Yep, she was probably in the zone. BUT, yep...it was a rule violation. As for her outburst, she was like a dog with a bone. She was disrespectful to both the chair umpire AND her opponent. $2,000 was a slap on the wrist and an insult to those who play by the rules....myself included.

anony

Isn't that what she said last time?