« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Cited For Verbal Abuse

9/12/2011 9:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0912_sarenas_launch
Serena Williams has been cited for verbally abusing the ref during her U.S. Open match Sunday.

Now the US Open referee is investigating Serena Williams for her outburst -- and, worst case scenario, she could be banned from future tournaments.

Serena -- who lost against Samantha Stosur in straight sets -- flew off the handle during the match ... blasting the ref over a call, shouting, "If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way because you're out of control. You're a hater and you're unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing? Wow."

The referee will pass along the findings of the investigation to the Tournament Grand Slam Committee, which will decide what discipline, if any, is appropriate.

It's interesting ... Serena's outburst pales in comparison to tennis legend John McEnroe.  True enough, McEnroe has been fined and suspended for his outbursts, but they almost seem on another level.
  0912_mcnroe_LAUNCH

update_bar
11:54 AM: US Open referee Brian Earley just fined Serena $2,000 for the outburst -- but that's a drop in the bucket ... because she earned a grand total of $1.4 MILLION during the tournament.

According to the US Tennis Association, "Williams' conduct ... does not rise to the level of a major offense."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

LoudMouth

So if inappropriate behavior doesn't rise to John McEnroe's level there should not be an investigation? What kind of faulty logic is that? If they ban her for a year, then ask about a double standard. Good grief.

ed

hello tmz

andre`

I Feel that Serena shouldnt be banned or suspended. The umpire made the correct call, but she had the option of replaying the point or give it to the opponent. She was right for speaking out; She didnt want the same thing to happen to her like it did in 2004 and 2009. I feel she was frustrated just like all the rest of the players have been this USOPEN Men and Women. Maria, Rod****, Bartoli, they have have been the same way. She knew she wasnt playing her best and acknowledge it. I respect her for that.

Tigger

Big deal. She didn't say anything that bad. No way should they ban her. She's the most exciting thing that ever happened to that sport.

birdbath

I think Serena might have a Rod****

S D M F

WOW, another athelete with entitlement issues.

SSinOC

test

bobbynorwich

She is still on probation from 2 years ago, since she was off the tour for 10 months so the clock was stopped. I think she gets banned from next year's US Open.

Jake

OMG there isn't a double standard here. The "I'm black" or "I'm a women" excuse has to stop. It's the 21st cetruy. If you are penalized like this today it's because you did something stupid (not just in Tennis but in life.) There's a big difference between Serenas outbursts and Mcenroes. Serena threatened the refs by hinting at bodily harm. The only thing McEnroe ever did was call an umpire an idiot in many different ways, throw his racket , and ask that the Ump be removed. He never threatened them with physical harm. He was smart enough to realize how stupid that would be.

Kevin

Serena is a thug. She threatend to shove a tennis ball down an umpires mouth a few years ago at the Open. I know Mac used to go nuts and argue and call the ref/umpires names but like other people mentioned I don't think he threatened any of them. The rules are much stricter today (Conduct Code) so Mac would not be able to get away with those antics if he were still playing. It's not a double standard, they're just enforcing the codes and rules of today's game. Not that it was right but that was part of Mac's game.....intimidate the refs.

Zoe

"Hater" is the new buzzword. Serena honey, you need to be tested for steroids and then get over yourself.

erkg

She's a bully - no other way to put it!

Pimpcessa

Wow y'all, maybe I missed something, but I didn't see her threaten the judge. I also didn't see the race card being played by Serena. I think, at the most, what I saw was an athlete acting like a prima-donna. But it seems to me tennis has had many of those in the past and present. And, considering McEnroe told a judge to "go home and F*** your Mother", I see this as quite minor. Not necessarily acceptable, but certainly pale in comparison.
Lastly, the race card gets pulled often enough without us searching for it, and assuming someone is pulling it when they could be meaning many other things. I didn't take what she said by calling the judge a hater as her saying the woman was judging her racially. I also believe that "assumption is the mother of all ******* ups.
As I stated already, I may have missed something in the video, but I don't think her actions (that I could see)warrant banning her or a fine.
And for some reason, lately, here on TMZ, there's been a ton of really racist comments. What's up with that??

Louise

I don't know anything about tennis - but if Serena believed she had been discriminated against by the ref, I thought she spoke her mind very tastefully.

matt

Surprised she didn't say " its cuz I'm black huh? White ass ref"