« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant Church Dispute

Case Referred to Prosecutors

9/21/2011 5:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0921_kobe_bryant_tmz_EX
San Diego police are referring the battery investigation involving Kobe Bryant to prosecutors ... TMZ has learned.

A parishioner at the St. Theresa of Carmel Church filed a police report last month against the L.A. Lakers star, claiming Kobe ripped a cell phone out of his hand in church, accusing the man of trying to take Kobe's picture.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... the case will be referred to the San Diego City Attorney, but cops think at best it would be filed as a misdemeanor battery, which carries a maximum sentence of 6 months in jail.

Calls to Kobe's people were not immediately returned.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JP

what's the crime here? He deserved it.

CarneyIsGod

LMFAO stupidest story ever. Who cares if he broke your phone you don't take pictures of someone without consent, especially in a church. You deserved what you got, sir Take-A-Picture-Of-Celebrities-when-they're-in-church. Kobe will be let off, just a waste of time really.

Marty

Why would Kobe even be in a church? I would think if he really feared God, he would stay far away from God's House!

Marty

Let me also add, when the original story came out They claimed Kobe ripped his phone out of his hand because he THOUGHT he was taking photos. In other words, the guy was not even taking pictures. If it would have been me, I would have gotten a couple of punches in on Kobe's head before he would have even known it. Damn rapist.

Muppet

The jerk trying to take Kobe's picture in church should be the one being charged! What a lowlife! Is nothing sacred anymore??

RonBurgundy

Time for Kobe to get out the checkbook again. This will surely be less money than the rape he committed years ago. (see mug shot)...anyone who supports Kobe Bryant supports the abuse of women.

His wife will divorce him when the spotlight runs out...and it will. She will keep the ring though.

Christina G.

Was this a Satanic church? Because neither one of them sound very Christian.

Ghost Rider

What about non resistance, turning the other cheek, and forgiving and forgetting? I guess they are learning something else there.

Areader

As much as I dis-like Kobe, I support him on this one!

AlwaysOnTimeB

People, what happened to forgiveness? Even IF the "attack" really happened the way the parishioner said it did, my goodness it was in the church. Now the pastors are going to be suing the congregation members, the congregation members are going to be suing the deacons, the ushers are going to be suing the pianist and the pianist is going to be suing the organist. Now see what you started? If the parishioner was hurt, I'm sure Kobe would throw him a couple of bucks to fix his boo boo...

some guy

This just in: Lindsay did it. More to follow.

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

I'm so sick of these 'affletes' who beg attention and then go off like they live under a separate law book than the rest of us, especially this rapist set free by cashflow...

dd

Dumbass leave Kobe alone....

wasted days and wasted nights

Honestly, some places should be completely off-limits for the snap-happy people with their cell phones--restaurants and churches, for sure. I'd give Kobe a get-out-of-any-trouble card over this dispute.

Jordan

Watching TMZ on TV right now. In response to the guy's comment on migrant farmer's in central California - HAHAHAHA. He pleads "I could do that job, psh" And seems to imply that what they do at the TMZ office and what Kobe Bryant does is more important than farmers. LOL.

What an momentous prick. This guy is fooling himself. I watch the TMZ staff talk about what they do like it's important. IN response he might say something like..."well, you spend your time watching me." har har har. Yeah, I occasionally do...on my time off from actually doing a REAL job...a real job that helps humanity. What you do does not help make the world go round. The world would be unaffected if TMZ ceased to exist. Doesn't it ever make you disappointed in yourself when you think about what you do for a living? It's so meaningless. What that farmer does in central Cali is something that DOES make a difference. Watch what you say. You are pathetic. lol. Sorry, bu*****ching the TMZ staff's conversations is hilarious. You guys just talk about meaningless, trivial things with an air of importance. Come on, I'm sorry - but you guys should really look at your life and ask what VALUE you have. Do you even know what true value is?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments