"The X Factor"

Half the Show Of "Idol"

9/22/2011 8:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0922_xfactor-BN
The big "X Factor" premiere last night fell way short of Simon Cowell's expectations -- earning just over half the ratings "American Idol" got during its premiere in January.

Simon's new show averaged an 8.7 rating, while the tenth season premiere of "Idol" pulled in a 16.4 -- and in last night's head-to-head ... "Modern Family" and "Criminal Minds" won out.

Simon called in to TMZ Live yesterday -- telling us, he desperately wanted to beat out his alma mater in the ratings department ... but based on last night's performance, that's gonna be an uphill battle.

To be fair -- the first ever episode of "American Idol" only scored a 6.1 in 2002 ... and has since had years to build a loyal audience. Then again, singing competitions were new back then.

0922_factor_footer

Mike skinner

Ok tens of thousands of auditions, and you give us 2 hours of bad talent, with only 4 acts that had any voice at all. You need to show only the people with a voice, leave the clowns to Idol. I thought this show was going to be a talent showcase. So far a miserable failure on Simon s part. By the way Cheryl Cole was new and different, I like Nichole but she has been over exposed recently.

Barb

The show won't do well because it's the same old format and the same old judges. That being said, you can't compare last night's low ratings to the original 2002 AI broadcast because Simon and Paula are now established "stars" and the format is basically the same as AI, so what's so compelling? Simon also did not choose wisely when he chose Paula for this show. I certainly won'*****ch it.

LiveOutLoud

Sorry, but the X Factor is way better show than Idol.

Kabala

Watched a few minutes of it and thought it was boring. I hope it tanks and bursts Cowell's huge bubble.

Urban Americano

Honestly, one of the best new TV shows! I watched it and I'm already a fan after one episode. I like the panel of judges. More distinguished. And it doesn't take them half an hour to critique like it does on American Idol. The new judges on American Idol, and i'm generalizing a little, but they say the same thing to all the contestants, "Wow, that was amazing!" If I want to hear someone say "amazing" umpteen times, I'll go watch the Bachelorette!

Barb

@moxie. Loved what you said - Sloppy Seconds. That about sums it up!

soulofanangel

Awwwww Poor Baby Simon doesn't have enough MANSIONS, YACHTS, etc. to complete his Poor Sick Ego Mind.

STAND in the UNEMPLOYMENT LINE, pal, and you will KNOW you have already been tremendously blessed!

JUstin

Always thought Simon suffered from a Huge over-inflated ego , and the media bowing and making him feel he's the Kat meow to everything , doesn't help either..Didn't even bother to watch . Sorry , but "American's Got talent" is Good enough for me..

Elizabeth

I enjoyed the X Factor very much with my mom and sister. I truly believe the show will just get better with time. The talent gave me goosebumps and a smile, sometimes almost tears. The people who just criticize the show, are hater's they just have negativity in there head... the show will bloom :)

JUstin

To Mr Randy Jackson - STOP LAUGHING ....

Dirty Dancing Fan

It was a good show,only thing is that it went up against "Modern Family" which is EMMY winning show. Hopefully they change the Day of the X Factor.I will continue to recored & watch later :)

Pip

i liked it alot! I think it will do really well.

Christy

The show was b-o-r-r-i-n-g - same old, same old. A souped up version of Idol. And as much as the judges gushed over some of the performers, they weren't all that great. The focus on each performer was way too long, the background music annoying, and the family/friends rushing out on the stage was way contrived. I give it 2 stars.

Kathy

There are too many talent competions now. But to be fair when Idol is on there is nothing on TV worth watching on the other channels. Idols numbers have scared off any competition.
It was not the case with X-factor which had popular shows on at the same time.

Barb

Though you can't compare last night's X-Factor premiere night ratings to the 2002 original broadcast of American Idol because the judges are now established "stars" and it's basically the same format, it is probably precisely for these reasons that the show won't do well. Also, Paula Abdul, again, was a poor judge choice. I didn'*****ch and don't intend to.