"The X Factor"

Half the Show Of "Idol"

9/22/2011 8:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0922_xfactor-BN
The big "X Factor" premiere last night fell way short of Simon Cowell's expectations -- earning just over half the ratings "American Idol" got during its premiere in January.

Simon's new show averaged an 8.7 rating, while the tenth season premiere of "Idol" pulled in a 16.4 -- and in last night's head-to-head ... "Modern Family" and "Criminal Minds" won out.

Simon called in to TMZ Live yesterday -- telling us, he desperately wanted to beat out his alma mater in the ratings department ... but based on last night's performance, that's gonna be an uphill battle.

To be fair -- the first ever episode of "American Idol" only scored a 6.1 in 2002 ... and has since had years to build a loyal audience. Then again, singing competitions were new back then.

0922_factor_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

gigi

SIMON I LOVED IT! AND SOME BROUGHT ME TO TEARS SO Y0U JUST GO WITH YOUR GUT CUZ IT'S ALWAYS RIGHT. HE'S THE MOST SUCCESSFUL IN THE BUSINESS AND ANYONE WHO PUTS HIM DOWN IS AN IDIOT.

Kaveman

Simon is a worthless fool. Anyone who likes that clown is a complete moron.

tyler

i liked x factor better then them all

Mike B

We in the UK sent you Cowell because we are no longer stupid enough to be tricked by his "fake reality talent shows" and we will not be manipulted by his rubbish. You yanks will the programme is dross and you vote and watch and make him millions. By the way he is not a nice person - keep him you are all being manipulated

Lin Koenig

I was waiting for the show and then I saw them let kaitlyn Curtis GO! she had a nice voice. Sweet innocent. a lot better than most on the show. Im NOT going to be watching the show this season. It seems their choices on who goes thru or not are going to be unfair and I dont think thats entertainment. I really liked/loved Kaitlyns voice she was the girl (16) with the bright yellow dress on that Paula got up n hugged?I think they should call her back n give her another chance! Unless I hear that from news or what ever Im NO*****ching.

Lin Koenig

I was already to watch the season of x-factor. then they had Kaitlyn curtis sing and I loved her voice. They voted her NO! I can see where this show is going. Its not going to be entertainment for me. I wont be watching again.......Unless they bring back the gal in the bright yellow dress that paula hugged. KAITLYN CURTIS!!!

Alice

WHAT HAPPENED TO SIMON/S WIFE?ARE THEY DIVORCED???????

Dane

Its suppose to be about finding the best singing talent! I'm over watching nuts and showcasting them. They get someone they believe can sing and pass them, and we see, and hear 10 seconds of them. The nuts get their 15 minutes of fame. I'm over it, i will no*****ch it anymore!!!

JennyT

Ummmm...NO. If you can't find any decent talent in a catagory, drop it and take the most talented singer's from the other catagories to move on. The groups? Not interested in any of them. NICOLE? A semi-talent that obviously has cotton in her ears and brain damage for her choices. DEXTER?? WTF was that? That Tiger guy got totally robbed.

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8