Phony "DEA" Drug Scam

Under Investigation

9/26/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0924_xanax_scam_ex_tmz_composite_3A downright terrifying, diabolical scam targeting Americans who buy prescription drugs online is being investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration ... TMZ has learned.

A number of Americans have been victimized over the last year ... but the best way to tell this story is by example.  A Hollywood producer received a message (below) on his cell phone last week from a man claiming to work for the DEA, saying he needed to speak with the producer urgently -- adding the producer had been indicted on drug charges.

The producer freaked out and called his lawyer, who got in touch with the alleged DEA agent by phone.  The "agent" said the producer had been indicted in the Dominican Republic, for allegedly illegally purchasing one bottle of Xanax online 5 years ago -- the website was registered in the Dominican Republic.

After several calls, the agent told the lawyer there might be a way to "make the case go away," because one of the judges on the Supreme Court in the Dominican Republic would dismiss the case if the producer paid a civil penalty. That made the lawyer suspicious enough to tape the next call and turn over the info to the DEA.

DEA officials tell us ... multiple scammers are posing as agents, using the names of actual DEA agents.

The DEA is hot on the trail.  A DEA official tells TMZ ... they've received numerous complaints from victims over the last year, most involving threats of prosecution based on the purchase of online prescriptions.

We're told the likelihood is ... a number of people folded like a cheap suit when they received the call threatening prosecution and sent the money in, hoping the criminal case would go away.

0925_vm_3_large

Jason

People are so naive...

your stupid enough to believe this you don't deserve money...
by the way, thank your government for letting these criminals rip you off and do nothing about it. Happens online (Craigslist) EVERY SINGLE DAY - ALL DAY...

Craig

People really are dumb. As if the DEA would call you over the phone to tell you you've been indicted of a federal crime? I'm pretty sure they'd pay you a visit in person for that sort of thing...

writenow

Wow....identity theft of DEA agents. That's ballsy.

Sunshine

The producer is guilty of something.Just hang up why freak out and call a lawyer.

karlew

Fools and their money are soon parted. No sympathy for the morons who paid up.

SunshiningTC

The paranoia starts again,good industry this one.

HRH Prince Michael

The sheer hypocrisy: What's the diffence between the DEA and a drug-dealing reptile? The reptile is more trust-worthy, but, cannot pick-up nearly as much CASH.
ALL, in DUE time.

teenagejesus666

teenagejesus666

This same guy on the recording called me today posing as a Chief DEA agent. The guy said a warrant has been issued for my arrest and they have a search warrant to search my home. When I asked the crook to confirm my address of the search that is going to take place he got scared and hung up. The guy was so stupid he did not take the time to block the phone number. The number that came showed our on the caller ID is (415)935-6827 witch is a number he purchased with the Magic Jack service

Thaddeus Loo

Has anyone ever received sms from GlobalNet saying that yr mobile number has been picked as the winner of a 6-digit sum in pounds? The sms also asks u to submit yr mobile number and yr name via email to glosms@live.co.uk for more details?

teenagejesus666

tmac

I just got a voice message to call Mat from the DEA @ 415-935-6827 EXT 0058 if anyone else would like to follow up with him.

Ginger

wow! sounded like SCAM right away! no way i'm buying it!

Ginger

@ teenagejesus666, i googled the phone number 415-935-6827 and i got this link http://www.callercenter.com/415-935-6827.html which shows 2 reports about getting calls from it. i suggest you add up your complaint there.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2