« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Red Sox John Lackey

Divorcing Wife Battling Cancer

9/26/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0926_lackey_ex
Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has filed to divorce his wife, Krista ... who is in the middle of battling breast cancer.

Lackey filed on August 30, according to court docs in Texas, claiming "the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities." Krista and John got married in November, 2008.

Sources close to the family tell TMZ ... Krista underwent a double mastectomy back in March and underwent chemo as recently as June.

The divorce petition says John and Krista had a prenup. It also says Lackey has "separate property" he wants to keep for himself.

Lackey filed the divorce papers using only his and Krista's initials -- a tactic Tony Parker and Eva Longoria ... and Sandra Bullock and Jesse James also used in their Texas divorces.

It's unclear why Lackey -- who's struggled on the field all season long -- didn't wait til the off-season, about a month from now, to start divorce proceedings.

update_bar
4:33 PM: The Red Sox just released a statement on Lackey's behalf -- telling us, "John Lackey is dealing with a deeply personal family issue, and it is one the Red Sox do not feel is appropriate for public debate.  The Red Sox request that John and Krista’s privacy be respected."

0713_stars_split_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JalenDUI

I am probably like many others (but not that many)who have gone through similar betrayal. My girlfriend....who I have known for 30 years left me recently after 3 years of fighting off a disease called Sarcoidosis (a fatal disease that my drs. say will kill me within the next 6 months. There is nothing more devastating than a SUPPOSED loved one leaving you when you need them most. It was all because she couldn't deal with the burden of helping me out. I don't know Lackey's motivation...I only know that his wife is heartbroken right now. It's inhumane for him to do this right now. I ask myself everyday why she couldn't hang on for me for just 6 more months

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

S***M. From the John Edwards school of liberal s*** apparently. These freakin' men with money usually got no puzzzy growing up so when they finally get some scratch they can't get enough and then they go broke paying their stable of money hungry skankz. Thankfully I got enough before I got wealthy, they're not sucking me into their traps. What idiots. And Blond ho chasing Tiggger is at the top of the list.

Dave

Here's the deal, Krista had some nice melons. . . . .bottom line, no more melons. . . and strike 3, you're outa here

Debbie D

LACKEY= LOW LIFE S***BAG PIECE OF DOG ****!!!!!!

kirsten

He's always been a hothead. When he was playing with the Angels and a teammate would commit an error he would show his displeasure by making an angry gesture.

goose183

he hasnt even been married 3 years...not saying that hes not an a$$ but come on...I've had a goldfish longer that that...and he's on the road half the year.

Maria

He shouldn't have waited so long. His wife is so much better off without him. I did not like him when he was with the Angels and don't like him now. She's lucky to be RID of him. That woman is gorgeous, it won't be long before she meets a real decent man, unlike this classless, piece of trash. Good riddance to rubbish I say. She won't miss him!

Pound Sand

Red Sox fan never again. Bastard!

pjjackson

Hopefully she is the one who kicked him to the curb, because of what I know, He's a Nasty guy to start with [notice I didn't call him a man.] Sound's like his baseball life isn't going to well either. To Bad- ha-ha. what a Jerk. and for you Andrew,Kelly, Jim, Keith, Saucy, Rooster, & Commen sense you all must be his relatives. because no one in their right mind would do such a thing. She is so much better off without him! I wish for her health and happiness.

jack

I can believe it was because of a conflict of personalities, the problem she had one and he didn't. I'd say good ridance to him.

SistahSoul

I realize we on the "outside" don't have the full story, but it just seems so callous to divorce a spouse battling cancer. If the marriage went south before, why wait for a cancer diagnosis to end it? I thought the vows were "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health"?

debschira

what a fuching tool! that just breaks my heart, somebody please tell me there is not a good reason to do that to your wife? or to a husband for that fact! there is something seriously wrong with him, seriously fuching wrong. i hope @loudmouth is right, that karma visits his azz.

Lh

I am a breast cancer survivor, diagnosed at 35. Focus for all is fighting cancerto win and survive, mental state is key. Marriage was suppose to be forever when he accepted their vows,will it hurt him to wait a bit longer than he would like. She is fighting for her life and CANCER is what should have her focus. He filed, he could have had better judgement

dana

What a douche bag! Karma will get him

benice

JalenDUI,

You need to find another doctor. My mother had sarcodosis over 25 years ago. It went into "remission" after a brief amount of treatment. She is now 75 years old and goes to aerobics class at the Y twice a week, keeps the house impeccably clean and travels constantly.