« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Red Sox John Lackey

Divorcing Wife Battling Cancer

9/26/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0926_lackey_ex
Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has filed to divorce his wife, Krista ... who is in the middle of battling breast cancer.

Lackey filed on August 30, according to court docs in Texas, claiming "the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities." Krista and John got married in November, 2008.

Sources close to the family tell TMZ ... Krista underwent a double mastectomy back in March and underwent chemo as recently as June.

The divorce petition says John and Krista had a prenup. It also says Lackey has "separate property" he wants to keep for himself.

Lackey filed the divorce papers using only his and Krista's initials -- a tactic Tony Parker and Eva Longoria ... and Sandra Bullock and Jesse James also used in their Texas divorces.

It's unclear why Lackey -- who's struggled on the field all season long -- didn't wait til the off-season, about a month from now, to start divorce proceedings.

update_bar
4:33 PM: The Red Sox just released a statement on Lackey's behalf -- telling us, "John Lackey is dealing with a deeply personal family issue, and it is one the Red Sox do not feel is appropriate for public debate.  The Red Sox request that John and Krista’s privacy be respected."

0713_stars_split_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Carmen

He is following his manager Terry Francona who is also getting a divorce.

john

She looks cute, I'd hit that

In any case yeah people are quick to call him an a--hole and all given that she is going through cancer right now. Realize that their marriage was probably going downhill for awhile now and probably just coincides with her cancer timing. I seriously doubt he woke up and said your cancer is getting in the way and its a problem and the reason why they are splitting. Whats he supposed to do postpone the divorce and wait until she recovers completely? So pretending like their marriage is fine in the meantime is the alternative is to lie and pretend everythings fine? That's just putting on a show for pretenses. He can however still lend her support going through this hard time for her even with the divorce.

People are quick to make it like he's some jerk who's dumping her because she has cancer. We don't know the cir****tances and maybe their marriage has really reached the point of being a show. Sad that she has to have cancer at the same time though.

He shouldn't have to put on a show of being a loving caring husband at the drop of a dime because of the cancer and next minute they go back to arguing and not caring. He hasn't changed his mind and pretending otherwise is just stupid and pathetic.

The cancer won't automatically erase the problems already there in the marriage. So postponing it because she has cancer is just a show.

In any case wish them both the best.

perry161492

must be republican

vixis

Pathetic SOB! I hope the judge awards her everything and then some.

David

What a ********. Jon Lester ought to kick him in the testicles a few times to remind him just how difficult it is to live with cancer. And Krista will have no problem finding a real man. The next player who get***** by this piece of excrement ought to charge the mound and beat the pi$$ out of him. I'd take a 50-game suspension just to get a piece of this dirtbag.

LaLa

Disgusting - inside & out.

jsw

Real classy of TMZ to text him with this question 30 MINUTES before he was to pitch agains the Yankees last night.

Sloane

evil despicable selfish insensitive greedy thoughtless unsupportive opportunistic pond s***
I could go on and on.....
that he thinks his wife is now disposable because she is ill and suffering and missing her breasts
or that she is even up to a fight in divorce court while she's fighting for her life
this useless excuse for a human being appears to not even care enough to be going to counselling with his wife to help the deal with everything that life has suddeny thrown at them
I hope that every stadium that he goes into from not on , that he will not be met by cheers but by JEERS and heckling from the crowds in attendance
he doesn't deserve cheers - not even for a home run
baseball is a stupid game
...cancer is life and death!
this moron has no compassion and no perspective
If I were his parents I'd be so embarrassed and disgusted to think that my son has become this! I assume they raised him better

Maria

With Divine justice, the judge will declare the "pre-nup" null and void (GIVEN THE INHUMANE CIR****TANCES), and give her more than her share of the assets...WHICH WOULD LEAVE HIM AS WHAT HE TRULY IS... A MORALLY AND HUMANLY BANKRUPT PIECE OF EXCREMENT!!!!!

Elynn

As a person going thru Breast Cancer you need your family. He is a real piece of s**t! Shame on him! My husband has been my rock thru all of this and I'm not done with all mu surgeries. I wish his wife luck with her recovery and I hope karma is a bitch to John!

Barbara

Can you say LOSER? What a lowlife. I Just another reason for me to be a Yankees's fan.

Dan

I bet she was a real B that just married him to get instant wealth. Typical..

JoeFrancis

Baltimore PLEASE sweep the bosux.

Emily

Where do you get that Terry Francona is divorcing? NOTHING about it anywhere and in Boston it would be all over the place.

BigTunaLV

I hope she gives the douche-bag half of her cancer!