Tyrese's Radio Station Ejection

The Blow-by-Blow

9/28/2011 11:23 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0928_tyrese_fires_back_ex_audio_2
Tyrese Gibson says the program director that kicked him out of a Delaware radio station yesterday was cursing and yelling behind the scenes -- all because the singer took a stand against liquor stores near schools.

Tyrese just called into TMZ to explain the whole situation -- it's pretty intense ... check out the audio.

Holland 2011

Its TYRESE !! Sorry for the wrong spelling.

Holland 2011

I'm from Holland and I agree with Tyrees. Boycot the radiostation untill they appologize. Here you see to many kids using drugs like Hash and weet. The start to go using harddrugs.

Kelly

I bet you that director owns a liquor store by a school why is he so mad ..and im sure tyrese will be just fine without them playing his music hes got that transformer money hehe

tken

101.7 who listens to that station sounds like their trying to get some air play

R.BOSS

I totally DISAGREE with people going against the radio station.I lived in Delaware all my life and if memory serves me correct I DONT RECALL THERE BEING ANY LQ STORE ACROSS FROM A SCHOOL.Now the message he was trying to send was a valid point but what diffrence does it make that here is a LQ store by a school?? I'll wait......you have to be 21 to even step foot in a liquor store and what harm does that have on childrens education thats going on inside the school??? NONE...he was at the radio station to promote his album and his upcoming performance at a Delaware University which he NEVER spoke about because he was PMS in and stuck on talking ghetto about THIS matter.He could have spoke on the fact and kept it moving to what he was REALLY at the station for.If it wasnt for KISS 101.7 radio station our state would have NOTHING,they have done alot for our state and made us relevant with many successful concerts that me and my family have attended EVERY YEAR and had a great time.From what I hear he was such an A hole he was kicked out of the Double Tree Hotel as well so does that mean everybody boycott the Double Tree Hotel???? NO it means Tyrese grow up and find another way to make yourself relevant like drop a hit song since Sweet Lady. Such a NON FACTOR SMDH!!!!!

R.BOSS

Theres NO LIQUOR STORE ACROSS THE STREET FROM A SCHOOL IN DELAWARE MAYBE DOWN THE STREET AND AROUND THE CORNER BUT NOT DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET SO ALL OF THE PEOPLE WITH THESE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THE RADIO STATION NEED TO SHUT DOWN NOT SHUT UP BUT SHUT DOWN CAUSE YOU GUYS DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.YOU CANT COME TO A STATES ONLY RADIO STATION AND DOWN TALK THE STATE....HOW WOULD YALL LIKE IT IF HE CAME TO YOUR HOME TOWN AND TALKED ABOUT YOUR VERY OWN STATE LIVE ON AIR????? DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR....ASK TYRESE TO GET ON HERE AND TELL HOW HE GOT KICKED OUT OF THE HOTEL IN DELAWARE THE SAME DAY .THE HOTEL AND THE RADIO STATION AND THE DOUBLE TREE HOTEL HAVE NO CONNECTION WHAT SO EVER SO HOW IS IT THE SAME ARTIST GETS KICKED OUT OF TWO DELAWARE PLACES IN ONEDAY?????? SOUNDS LIKE SOMEBODY NEEDS A REALITY AND A ATTITUDE CHECK ASAP. TYRESE NEEDS TO FOCUS ON MAKING ANOTHER HIT CAUSE WE HAVENT SEEN ONE FROM HIM IN A LOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME. HOW ABOUT THAT!!!

D MOORE

MR. HARVEY, NO DISRESPECT, BUT IF YOU ARE NOT AWARE OF SOMETHING GOING ON IN A CERTAIN COMMUNITY, PLEASE DON'T SPEAK ON IT IN THAT FANTASY-LIKE MODE YOU SOMETIMES GET IN. YES, THERE ARE TOO MANY LIQUOR STORES IN CERTAIN COMMUNITIES IN WHICH THEY WILL SELL TO MINORS WITHOUT SCRUTINIZING THE ID PRESENTED OR THEY MAY NOT EVEN REQUIRE IT. THEN YOU DO HAVE PEOPLE THAT PURCHASE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND DRINK THEM BEFORE THEY LEAVE THE STORE OR PARTIALLY COMPLETE THEM. YES YES YES, THAT HAPPENS A GREAT DEAL WHERE I GREW UP...

robin

wow i am beyond mortified to see the blatant prejudice on here a man cannot voice his opinion to better the community? i am not from delaware but am in totally agree with tyrese and as for the non mother ******* factors on here talking all the racist crap...go **** yourselves!!! you deserve to be in hell or in jail so some big black dude can put up ya butt!!

Calvin375

To R. Boss, you've seem to be more concerned with the welfare of the radio station than you are with the welfare of the children or ciizens in your comunity. As a independent black owned business, I would think that you and your station would promote positive change and efforts to improve the communities in which you claim has supported your radio station. Oh yes, I'm presumming you're speaking on the behalf of the radio station as an employee or maybe even the owner again under another assumed name like Tony Q. You also should be more intelligent enough to know that just because they aren't 21, doesn't mean that they can't get access to alcohol or other illegal substances. Even I know better than that, because they can. Just like they can get their hands on illegal drugs and guns, they can get their hands on liquor as well. What did Tyrese say that didn't promote positive change and re-enforcements in the community you service? Or is it because your BOSS Tony Q happens to receive advertising dollars from those establishhments or is he owner/ part owner of these liquor stores that he takes so hard of an objection to the statements of Tyrese? What invested interest does he have in these establishments to throw Tyrese out of the radio station? So he(Tyrese) didn't promote his cd/album. He wanted to discuss something more important;our children and the communities we live in. Afterall, the radio station did invite him. Did they not? Do you know how many children are killed daily by drug drivers or people under the influence of other illegal substances? You need to get in contact with your local chapter of M.A.D.D. and inquire. They will be more than happy to inform you of the numbers. We're trying to build a nation of empowered youth with ENORMOUS dreams and possibilities. Not more statistical black youth in the judicial system. You need to read the comments of your fellow ctizens of Delaware; For they are telling a different story of despair and the want to address it and speak out about it. If what you call what Tyrese said was bad and you felt he used your radio station's platform to speak out against the injustices to our people in your neighborhood/s that you(radio station) service and that supports you, then you are totally misguided and you only care for profit over community. You're calling good evil and evil good.

smileysshowcase

I'm a radio programmer and I can tell you that he was protecting liquor sponsors!!!

Calvin375

Sorry, I'd meant "DRUNK DRIVERS" in my statement.

smileysshowcase

I am a radio program director and I can tell you that FIRST OFF, I'm sure they did not want Tyrese there in the first place and secondly, Tyrese's comments hurt their liquor sponsors!!!! SMHHH!!

Chris

Naahh, I don't buy this account from Tyrese. I think the point is, Tyrese should understand that he is an actor/entertainer and ONLY an actor/entertainer. His domain is not on issues relating to the approval of a liquor license by the state of Delaware. He was there to promote a book or a video or give a lecture.....nothing more, nothing less. If he wants to debate the moral implications of a liquor store, then run for office and represent your constituancy to the best of your abilities regarding liquor license issuance. If you don't want to do that, then understand that using your celebrity to address such controversial devisive issues will not HELP the cause, but ALIENATE people. Keep in mind, not only are you alienating the people who pay to see you in movies and pay to read your book, but you make it difficult for other minority celebrities who trying to find lucrative jobs in the entertainment industry because of racial stereotyping. Use your head - think about what your domain is before you begin issuing opinions.

Calvin375

To R. Boss, I didn't say what age group the children are in and I didn't say that they can go in the stores themselves. I'd said they can get access to it just like illegal drugs that are sold on school grounds and guns also. So you assumed too much. But, if the radio station is doing a disservice to the black community then it becomes a problem in ALL of the communities. Because they have become the "SELL OUTS" and they've sold your community out for advertising dollars."WHAT PROFITS A MAN TO GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOSE ITS SOUL. So the service the radio station is providing is not just music but endorsing liquor as well. Whether it's on a corner from a school or 500 feet, the ends doesn't justify the means. Children are still around of every age group and they are still at risk, because there is still a high number of drunk driving fatalities. Also, I don't get into immature name calling. That's beneath intelligent mature adults who's trying to promote positive change. It is also sad to see we're falling into the same pattern of entrampments that the rest of society wants us to be in and that's divisive.

Calvin375

To R. Boss, I've forgot to mention there are other people on this blog who are also from Delaware and some of them have heard that same radio show and they seem to have a differece of opinion contrary to yours as well as those who live in the Delaware area and know exactly what Tyrese speaks of; I'll go along with their assessment. Because they all want positive change.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments