Amanda Knox

Monday Could Be Freedom Day

10/3/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1002_Amanda_Knox_getty
Amanda Knox could be a free woman if her murder conviction is overturned ... and a decision is expected to come down today.

Knox was sentenced to 26 years in jail back in December 2009 for the murder of her roommate, Meredith Kercher. Knox's boyfriend at the time, Raffaele Sollecito, was also found guilty and sentenced to 25 years.

Both Knox and Sollecito appealed and their appeals are being heard together.

The Perugia Court of Appeal in Italy could overturn the conviction and ... if that happens ... Knox would be immediately freed.

But there are actually three other possible outcomes -- the appeals court could uphold the original conviction and sentence, reduce the sentence, or increase it to life in prison.

Italy does not have the death penalty.

update_bar
Knox addressed the jury this morning, saying, "I am not what they say I am. I did not kill. I did not rape. I did not steal."

jack-55d79

Everything I've read about the investigation and prosecution of the case implies it was handled very badly. For instance the court talks about interview evidence but that evidence is typed, and wasn't recorded in audio. Furthermore the trial took place in an Italian tabloid press frenzy, which was reflected in the language of the prosecution. That because of her initial reactions to the death, fact she's good looking, female, foreign, and the multiple changes of story for both her and her boyfriend, the discrepancies, made them obvious suspects. Put simply, I understand why they were suspects but have serious doubts about how they were prosecuted, investigated and convicted. She may of done it, or may not, but I have serious doubts about that investigation.

HamptonsHarry

She is guilty

CountryGal

She has a creepy look about her. She did something. She did lie about things. I don't feel like seeing her face if she gets off. Talk shows, magazines, books, etc.. She will be rich and famous and she may or may not be a murderer.

Vesna

It is ashamed how America is pressuring Italy to release the murderer. Because life in this country means nothing but Money
everything. And who cares for the dead girl that Amanda and Her boyfriend slaughtered!

Jack Power

I hope this girl rots in jail!!! Rich, spoiled american girl thinks she can get away by playing the innocent and naive roll.
Unfortunately, the American people like to believe in their twisted media than in real facts. She coldly murdered Meredith Kercher and deserves to be locked up in prison for the rest of her life....

kim

i still remember her stating in the press early on that the only reason she was being charged was because she was so good looking. first of all not really average nothing more, second this kind of inappropriate self absorbsion is exactly what you find in sociopaths, which leads me to think every word out of her mouth is a lie. Even if she is freed it will be because of faulty evidence handling which does not mean she is innocent big diffrence.

Kimberly

If she was a black girl we wouldn't have seen this post or all the media hype! Jus*****ching the comments from various TV journalist made me see how american system is so biased! They talk about Amanda in a way that make you think she is 100% innocent and she is the victim in the entire story! Oh, 4 years in jail was really hard on her, she looks fragile, she had to mature quickly, blah, blah, blah! A poor girl has been brutally murdered, Amanda is still alive today, she should be thankful for that!

Me

All it takes is a little research to realize that this poor girl and her boyfriend did not do it. I hope they are set free.

Charlie Sheen

she's hot

Bubbles The Chimp

She keeps claiming she did not kill her friend. She may have not killed her 'friend' with her own hands but she was involved. She is just playing with her own words to make it seem she is just an innocent unknowing girl.

Rubbish. I hope she rots in hell. You do not go to other countries assuming they are under American law. That is just ridiculous and arrogant.

weird al yankovich

It's really sad that countries have so much animosity towards americans. It's not even our faults.......... it's the governments for acting like they own the world and creating hate. When we travel abroad we're the ones that suffer not them of course.

The Italians are blinded by hate , lets just hope they're as smart as they portray themselves to be and not fall into the same dumb category they place americans in.
Italians it's your time to shine, lets just see how smart you guys really are ...

Annoyed in MD

Freed today or not, no one will know what really happened if she was guilty or not. The press is all about the "fresh faced American" - she has captivated the media. No one thinks someone like her could be involved in such a heinous crime. The problem is, and it is fact, she gets more media coverage than the actual victim here solely because of her looks. It is really sad and I feel for the Kercher's that their daughter's memory is lost in the sensationilism of the trial.

middleagedcrazy

@ annoyed --

I disagree because the "pretty" or "fresh-faced" American was used for the past four years against her -- somehow because she was young and carefree that was somehow proof of her involvement. Now that some of the forensic evidence is getting some publicity, how she looks is not very important; aside from those with evil fantasies of course.

Knox and Sollecito are unfortunate in their looks and privilege (as was the intitial victim murdered very cruelly) and to compound the wrong done to the victim by the ugly witchhunt is even worse than what happened.

The more I read about this case, the more I am convinced that Sollecito and Knox are innocent.

Jade

Dont let this heffa out! She needs to be a lesson to white folks when they travel. I studied abroad and white folks were always doing WAY too much. Yall need to learn how to behave when you leave the country...not racist just sayin.

YouDontSay

I have always thought she did not do it. I hope I am proven right.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments