'King of Infomercials'

Self-Mutilation Suspected

In Apparent Suicide

10/3/2011 7:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1003_dan_lapre_EX_01
Officials found a "large amount of blood" in the jail cell where "King of Infomercials" Don Lapre was discovered Sunday morning, law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... and we're told it appears Don had cut himself.

As we previously reported, Don was set to appear in court on Tuesday to face 41 counts of conspiracy and fraud ... for allegedly selling a bogus product called The Greatest Vitamin in the World.

Don's body was discovered in his Arizona jail cell early Sunday morning -- officials believe he committed suicide.

So far, no word on what object Don may have used to allegedly cut himself.

Canadasux

WHO? 'King of what? 'Never heard of this guy! And now the taxpayers of AZ have saved a lot of money.

lawyerjim

I wonder if he used a Ginsu knife

SaxAfterLunch

Good riddance to a vampire that took advantage to those who were vulnerbale and desperate!!

INeedFacebookFriends.com

first Billy Mays, now this guy. oh my god! whos next, vince the shamwow guy?

who will pitch crap on tv if vince offs himself or a hooker kills him.

EVELYN KAHNELL

WELL I SEE JESUS HAS ARRIVED IN THIS DEBATE.FOR ALL OF YOU THAT THINK THIS YOUNG MAN IS SO BAD ,JUST WHO ARE YOU TOO JUDGE HIM. I HAVE KNOW THIS YOUNG MAN FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND AND AT ONE TIME WHEN MY HUSBAND WAS OUT OF WORK AND THIS YOUNG MAN AT THE TIME WAS DOING PAINT JOB`S HE GAVE MY HUSBAND AND I A JOB HELPING PAINT DORM`S AT A,S,U, . NOW NOBODY PUT A GUN TOO THESE PEOPLE`S HEADS AND MADE THEM INVEST MONEY INTO THIS . DON LAPRE WAS A KIND AND GOOD YOUNG MAN AN I THANK GOD I WAS A PART OF HIS LIFE . I SEND PRAYERS TOO HIS FAMILY .NOW I AM 73 YEARS OLD IF YOU WANT TOO TAKE ME ON IN THIS DEBATE OF THIS YOUNG MAN COME I AM READY.EVELYN KAHNELL

jimmy d

Does this mean that "The World's Greatest Vitamin" will stop getting shipped to my house every month? For the low-price of $29.99 monthly I am guaranteed to outlive everyone on this website. HA! Suckers.

jimmy d

Dear EVELYN KAHNELL,

Please take out your teeth and blow me.

Thanks, JimmyD

Mark

I knew Don and my Brother was his roommate back in the late eighties. This guy was not a D-Bag.. He also gave me a job painting when I was out of work. His lawyers and advisors that miss guided him are the ones that should be and will on judgement day pay for all of this. Don once went to a battered womans shelter and brought all of them to the Chandler mall and dropped $75,000 on helping them get what ever they needed to get back on their feet.... But you wont hear anthing about those events, just the bad stuff... RIP Don I feel for your wife and kids man....

jimmy d

Seriously, EVELYN and all his defenders:

It is not about helping one or two people out with "painting jobs" or whatever (he probably got a bargain-price from you anyway!). It is not about donating money to a battered women's shelter (Did he tell you he donated the money or did the local news report it? If he told you...don't believe him.)

This is a guy who made his money ripping off tons of people. The vitamin scam was about recurring billing on credit cards for a product you could buy at your local grocery for under $10.00. Not to mention all the other scams he perpetrated. He killed himself not because of his innocence but because of his guilt. I am sure many criminals have helped out others along the way with "generosity" but with who's money? Was it money that was stolen or gotten through fraud? Even Bernie Madoff probably helped out a person here and there but it doesn't change the fact that the BILLIONS of dollars he made for himself were taken by fraud. Do you understand, EVELYN? It really doesn't matter though cuz you got one foot in the grave. Oh, and BTW there is no such thing as GOD either. How else can you explain this guy being able to take money away from people so long in the first place?

wenzy

He made money cheating people...plain and simple! The fact remains he was so guilty he couldn't even attempt to defend himself so he took the easy way out. I understand he made an infomercial on the cutting instrument he used. He claims it makes great julienned fries! My bad.

maria

Is many out there making bogus business just like him ,how come they don't get arrested? this people take advantage of credulous people and steal they money from them,that is why I don't buy nothing that is from a infomarcials.....

Missy

Wow. I remember this guy from years ago I think with telling people how to start businesses or sell real estate, I'm not sure.

E

Someone dies in an AZ jail... it wasn't suicide, the county is just worried about getting sued AGAIN and are trying to cover up that another prisoner probably killed him.

soulflower

What's with all these people offing themselves lately?
Strange times we live in....

KnuckleDragger

Funny how they say Lapre conned millions. He never conned anyone...they conned themselves. If you actually listen to ANY of his infomercials he NEVER says it will do what you think it will do. Listen closely...he says, "What IF". Morons...that doesn't mean anything. You hear what you want to hear. As to his death? Good riddance...weak mutherf*cker!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments