« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

ESPN to Hank Williams:

YOU'RE FIRED

10/6/2011 7:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hank Williams
The Monday Night party is over for Hank Williams ... ESPN has just fired the singer, days after he compared President Obama to Hitler.

ESPN had already pulled the song from Monday's game while they mulled Williams' fate -- but now, it's permanent.

ESPN released a statement, saying, "We appreciate his contributions over the past years.  The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue."

As we previously reported, Williams went on Fox News earlier this week, and referred to Obama and Joe Biden as "the enemy."

He later called his comments "dumb" -- but never really apologized for saying them.

100611_hank_small_video

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jim

Get it right he never comparaed Obama to Hitler he said and I quote "It would be like Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu." In reference to Boehner and Obama playing together.

Skip

Screw ESPN..

washout22

How many people are the 2 bush's responsible for killing? This idiot calls obama the enimey, but endorses the bush's when they killed millions in Iraq and Afganistan. I wish Hank would OD already.

billc

I will never watch another MNF game again. This was predicted that they would roll over and do this. Like others have said if it would have been any conservative that he said this about he would have been given a raise and his own TV show. What a bunch of pathetic losers that whole network and its parent company are.

Tammy

I thinks illustrates to the American people that Obama needs to go since people are penalized for speaking their mind under his administration. I think this decision will hurt his chance for re-eletion and I don't think he had much to begin with. I certainly will not be voting for him.

Migalone

What a fool. He deserved it. Love his music, keep your deep seeded issues to your self.

SpiderMike

If ESPN intended this firing to be an "Attitude Adjustment", well, that dog won't hunt with "Bocephus" 'cause "A Country Boy Can Survive".

KaiSen

Okay, I know a lot of people are thinking this is a free speech situation. It's Godwin's law in practice.

Williams obviously didn't compare the President to President Netanyahu, and to those that think otherwise are woefully ignorant (Netanyahu's a friend of the Republicans in case you didn't know). No, the comparison was CLEARLY Obama to Hitler and Boehner to Netanyahu. And any time you put any comparison to Nazis or Hitler in any conversation, you lose a bit of credibility.

Free speech. Feh. It's only becomes a free speech issue when it's convenient to some folks. The same people crying foul about ESPN firing Hank Williams Jr. still think the country music industry was in the right for blacklisting and banning the Dixie Chicks from their stations for criticizing George W. Bush.

They didn't compare him to Hitler, mind you. They just said they were ashamed he was from Texas. That's just wrong.

He's from Connecticut. Still, "you don't mess with Texas" nor their native sons who really weren't. Of course nowadays, Republicans won't even say his name in public nor any debates.

Guess what's wrong for some is right for others.

Abysmal

Freedom of speech is the ability to speak without censorship or limitation. Also called freedom of expression, it refers not only to verbal speech but any act of communicating information or ideas, including publications, broadcasting, art, advertising, film, and the Internet. Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are closely related to the concepts of freedom of thought and conscience.

That's the text book definition of "Freedom of Speech". God there's so many idiots on this site. He's allowed to say whatever he wants without limitation or censorship.Was his comparison idiotic? Yes it was. Should of he been fired? No. However, as a company ESPN has to protect their image.If they didn't fired him it would of caused controversy and protests/boycotts against ESPN.

ESPN are the wrong ones.

soulofanangel

Alrighty then...the "SUITS"....The "MAN"....the Powers That Be...have THEIR free speech...but everyone else be DAMNED?

Donna

I never cared one way or the other about HWJR before but I have a new respect for him now!
I can see this as being very good for his career!

lalet

whats wrong with telling the truth?

elilan

as much as i think what he said was stupid -- i'm a wee bit tired of folks getting fired over stuff they say in their personal lives. so fascist.

Gina

I thought we lived in America where freedom of speech was respected? I guess ESPN dosn't support our country or what it stands for. I think I will boycot ESPN. ESPN just like Obama likes to see people out of work I guess.

soulofanangel

POLITICALLY CORRECT has destroyed the fiber and zest of the United States of America. We used to take the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY and run with it....now we tip-toe with helmets on while blowing our noses. My how we have fallen!