Charlie Daniels Band Member

Killed in Car Crash

10/13/2011 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Daniels Band

The Charlie Daniels Band member who co-wrote "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" -- one of the greatest country songs EVER -- died yesterday ... when his SUV veered off the road and slammed into a tree ... this according to law enforcement.

Joel “Taz” DiGregorio was on his way to meet the band's tour bus in Tennessee -- when he crashed on Interstate 40 west of Nashville. Cops say Joel's car was the only vehicle involved in the crash.

"Taz" was a founding member of the band -- who spent the last 40 years playing keyboard and singing vocals ... in addition to writing songs.

Charlie Daniels released a statement -- saying, "I am in shock now, Taz was one of my best friends. We're going to miss you buddy. You were one of a kind and will never be forgotten."

The Charlie Daniels Band has cancelled their concerts tonight and Saturday in the wake of the tragedy.

He was 67.

anon.

R.I.P.

Superman

One of my favorite country songs. Thanks. And my condolences to family and friends.

There's a problem here

RIP fellow traveler. Back in the day on a road trip driving through Pennsylvania we stopped to eat and rest up and right behind us was the Charlie Daniels Band tour bus. They were as road weary as we were but they were so cool to anyone who stopped to chat or tell them how cool they were. One of my best memories. RIP.

Palmerbuyer

I met Taz at the Alaska State Fair in Palmer, Alaska last month. He graciously signed one of his CDs for me. Sorry for the loss. He was a great guy.

me

rip, Taz. love cdb

Polly

Wow -- everyone knows "Devil Went Down to Georgia." Sad to think one of the writers is gone. The rest of the band must be devastated. :(

Robin

RIP TAZ.... Really glad We were able to see you and Charlie so many times. The best was down in Penn. in a warehouse and I was able to go on the bus and meet charlie then we had backstage passes and then the last time was just last month at The Indian Ranch we you were signing autographs and promoting your CD. God bless Charlie and the rest of the band.

Billy

Met him at the state fair. Yup, pretty much sums up the career of this crap hole band. The devil song was not that good either. I remember being at some fair show where he was playing and someone yelled charlie daniels for president. The music sucked so bad, half the crowd got up and left until the next looser performer came on stage.

Could care less....

Norene Arnesen

I have seen CDB in several concerts. They always performed awesomely!!
Taz was wonderful on the keyboard! He ROCKED!!!
My condolences to his family & the Band!! <3

Ronni

Was it a Jeep? Mine and other's go wacky a lot.

Keith C

TAZ, We always Looked Forward to you coming home every summer to Indian Ranch. You will be missed, you definitely left your mark on all of us. Thanks for the memories. Thoughts and Prayers to your immediate and extended family.

Tommy Shortt

it's so sad to have Lost a Great man He was so Good to me He Got me up to sing one at Charlie's party
God He will be missed
Rest in peace my Friend

caribouloo

I was fortunate to sit in the front row at the Alaska State Fair. Taz was a wonderful entertainer. The world is a lesser place with him gone. My prayers to his friends and family.

LAWRENCE GALE

i loved that song very much rest in peace buddy

Richard