Charlie Daniels Band Member

Killed in Car Crash

10/13/2011 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Daniels Band

The Charlie Daniels Band member who co-wrote "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" -- one of the greatest country songs EVER -- died yesterday ... when his SUV veered off the road and slammed into a tree ... this according to law enforcement.

Joel “Taz” DiGregorio was on his way to meet the band's tour bus in Tennessee -- when he crashed on Interstate 40 west of Nashville. Cops say Joel's car was the only vehicle involved in the crash.

"Taz" was a founding member of the band -- who spent the last 40 years playing keyboard and singing vocals ... in addition to writing songs.

Charlie Daniels released a statement -- saying, "I am in shock now, Taz was one of my best friends. We're going to miss you buddy. You were one of a kind and will never be forgotten."

The Charlie Daniels Band has cancelled their concerts tonight and Saturday in the wake of the tragedy.

He was 67.

Uncle Rufus

It's been announced that "Taz" will NOT be buried WITH hi*****, but rather, IN hi*****....it's that big. RIP guy....

Kathy

I Love the Charlie Daniels Band very much and very,Very Glad to have gotton to see them &Taz this past Sunday at the peanut fest in Suffolk,Va...My Heart& Prayers go out to his family and of course all his friends including the band members!!!May he rest in peace and God Be with all the people that were a part of his life!!! He is in a Better place right now and is Now one of Gods Newest Angel!!!This was my very first Charlie Daniels Concert and I am very Blessed to have been there and been apart of it...Charlie introduced all his members and Im very Thankful I got to see and hear him play(Taz)God Bless you Joel"Taz"DiGregorio..May You Rest in peace!!<3

Jeffrey Bockser

I am shocked and saddened to hear about this. I always looked forward to seeing Taz up there on stage playing his talented,funky keyboard whenever Charlie came to town. I always found him gracious and friendly whenever I spoke to him him. Rest in peace,Taz.... I will miss you.

kj777

RIP Taz. You are missed dearly and always will be... And billy boy~~~~YOU ARE A LOSER!!!!! A.K.A = S***BAG!! Thanks for the great music and fun times Taz! The CDB Band is legendary and has impacted the world of music for 40 years! And what have you done, billy boy??? Love, sympathy and prayers to Tazs' family and the CDB family.

candy smith

Tas was amazeing, The band wont ever be the same. I've been listening to Charlie Danials since I was a kid in Jr High. Rest In Peace Taz, your work here in this life is done. Your music brought smiles to millions, God bless you. Now the angles hve another beautiful voice!

Janice Bronnenberg

Rest in Peace. I have been to at least 10 Charlie Daniels concerts, plus the free one and bar b q for the fans in July. Last time I saw him was in April in Carmel, Indiana. Will miss Taz's talent and wit on stage. What an awesome keyboard player, writer and performer. Sadly missed.

Paul L.I.N.Y.

Taz signed his photo to my wife and myself and we bought his new cd in Westbury last year. He was so friendly and made you feel like he knew like a brother. To Charlie and the band and all of your families; you are in our prayers. May God Bless YOu and watch over you; Jesus Loves You. PEACE

Cathie Cretney-Babiracki

I send my condolences to you and "taz"s family. I found out from my good friend Mike. I will keep him and his wife Danielle in my prayers and the family. Best wishes from one of the Huntington Beach, Golden Bear fans

Tammy Parker

Omg I am in shock! Taz was one of the most talented gifted keyboard players ever ...........Charlie so sorry for your loss..... Wesley and myself are grieving your loss! We were so looking forward to seeing you and the band in Hugo Okla.

Don Olsen

I would like to say how sorry I am for the lose of Taz, remembering the time as I was raising my daughter Kelsey an were invited to meet the band at the Swap Shop in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
God bless and protect you all.
Capt. Don

Pamela Goodchild - Gold

I met Taz in 1985 in West Palm Beach. He had played with a bass player I worked with in Orlando. Tommy Decicco was the bass player. When ever Taz was in the area we would have lunch. I haven't seen him for a number of years. He was a great guy and one great keyboard player. My prayers are with CDB and his family. The music industry has lost a great member but the band in Rock N Roll Heaven has gained one Hell of a keyboard player. I'm sure he is there because if the Devil tried to get him I'm sure his responce was I've done told you once you SON OF A BITCH I'M THE BEST THAT'S EVER BEEN!!! RIP
Love You Always,
Pamela Goodchild Gold

michellerowley

My condolences to the family. My family has known Taz for many many years, I am 33 and have known him all my life. This was very sad news to read on TMZ. I am so glad I got to see and hug him last year. Taz you will be truly missed! Love from the East Coast Florida Yochim's.

ROY 'TINY' RICE

charlie and the band and family members my heart goes out to you god put a great musician on this earth now he needs him to be with his band forever.taz i still have those pics of you and steve holland of the hatchet band and the one you didnt want me to show the one of your glasses on lol and i promished i wouldnt and ill keep that promise we all had a ball at that show in tallahassee was cdb.molly hatchet marshall tucker band i will miss you but you left us your music play on my friend ''tiny''.........

BOGDOG

I just saw this and am saddened by the tragic loss. I have seen the CDB many times and ran into Taz on the streets of Detroit before the Hoedown and in Fowlerville after a show at the fairgrouns. Taz and Charlie got of the bus in Detroit dressed alike and it reminded me of the opening scene from Smokey & the Bandit with big Enos & little enos making the bet with Bandit. Miss you man.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2