Hilary Swank

I REGRET Attending Party

for Alleged Murdering Warlord

10/13/2011 5:46 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Hilary Swank
Hilary Swank
says she probably should have said "no" ... when she was invited to a birthday party for the President of Chechnya last week ... saying she had no idea he's been accused of torturing and killing a bunch of people.

Swank -- along with Jean Claude Van Damme and others -- attended a concert in Chechnya for president Ramzan Kadyrov on Oct. 5 ... and immediately came under fire from human rights groups.

Now, Swank has issued a statement ... saying, "I deeply regret attending this event. If I had a full understanding of what this event was apparently intended to be, I would never have gone."

Swank says at the time she accepted the invitation to the concert ... she had no idea the event was intended to honor Kadyrov.

FYI -- Kadyrov has been accused of torturing and murdering a BUNCH of his political rivals, though Kadyrov says it's all BS ... made up by his enemies to discredit him.

UPDATE: Swank gave a speech at the event ... and even said, HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to the President. When someone on stage asked how Hilary knew about Kadyrov's birthday, she replied, "I read ... I do my research."

oher

she was sent an info pack by HRW, and went on to do her own research, all for some location scouting with Jean-Claude. And look what @Seal has to offer on all this: "By going there, I played MUSIC for the Chechenyan [sic] people. I'm a MUSICIAN and would appreciate if you leave me out of your politics". Tears.

OnlineCriticChick

NEVER TOOK HER TO BE SUCH AN AIRHEAD...I WAS EMBARRASSED FOR HER...HOW STUPID TO ATTEND A BIRTHDAY FOR SOMEONE WHEN YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THEM..

oher

what kind of freakshow watch?v=j6KdWb5qNVg watch?v=-baV_c3atXs Hilary should socialze there more, I bet if she made it to kremlin, the pr there would be up to standard of not having to 'regret' it later, for now Hilary will remain the little puppet-warlord's fool, but if she tries harder, se'll get to meet the puppet master...

static

Shut up and get your teeth fixed.

mike

Has she returned the money or donated it to the victims families?

Irene

"I deeply regret..." that I got caught getting paid a ton of money so attend the b-day bash of a murdering monster (yes I do my research)...oh by the way (blink blink)I care so much about human rights that I'm giving alllll the money that s*** gave me (blink blink). See...I'm a good person.

Irene

After five days of wall-to-wall criticism, [Swank's apology] is weak, especially since the Human Rights Foundation sent a warning directly to Swank through her manager on Sept. 26," Human Rights Foundation's Sarah Wasserman said in a statement provided to TheWrap. "Her claim of ignorance is laughable. Worse, the video of her birthday wishes shows her boasting about her knowledge of Chechnya and how she 'reads' and 'does her research.' The more important question now is, what is Swank going to do with the blood money paid from Kadyrov's coffers? She sidesteps the issue completely.

According to Swank's spokesperson, the actress wasn't aware of Kadyrov's alleged role in executions, torture and disappearances in Chechnya prior to attending the event.

Jean-Claude Van Damme, singer Seal and violinist Vanessa-Mae were also paid to attend.

Jackie

Liar....If she did a research, then she knew who he was.

Kim

Actors are just plain uneducated and seem to only do what gets them in the ,limelight. Someone on Hilarys "team" should have known about this guy. He's a monster! Nice going Hilary! Douchebags usually party together, right?!

Jackie

And omg!!...did she say Salaam Aleku...ha ha...Also didn't she say People in Chechnya dress more formal and better than New York city?...Ha ha... Watch-out...she might be your next Traitor.

Kevin Noel

DOES NO ONE SEE JCVD SITTING BESIDE THE MAN?!! Please rip on him! He needs the publicity for another Blood Sport Movie! ;)

yusup

Dear Hillary, also dont regret to return money back,

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4