Susan Sarandon

Claims Pope Is a 'Nazi'

10/17/2011 10:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Susan Sarandon
Susan Sarandon
referred to Pope Benedict XVI as a Nazi over the weekend – not just once, but twice.

During an interview at the Hamptons Film Festival, Sarandon was talking about sending the pope a copy of the book, “Dead Man Walking,” when she clarified ... “The last one [Pope John Paul II], not this Nazi one we have now.”

When interviewer Bob Balaban expressed disapproval, Sarandon reportedly said the Nazi comment AGAIN -- drawing laughter from the audience.

The Pope's PR people acknowledged that Benedict WAS a member of the Hitler Youth as a boy, a requirement at the time for German boys his age -- but the rep insists he had no "active participation" in the group.

1017_benedict_youth
We've reached out to Susan's people for comment -- so far, no response.

Hank

I know people try and blow smoke up your azz and tell you you look young new flash your old, wrinkled and washed up. I guess you need this to get attention sad old wrinkled lady just go away you loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

susanne527

She doesn't know what the hell she is talking about. She needs to read her history books- what a loser! My Mother is german and it was mandatory that every child join hitler youth. They were not involved with the killing of Jews, ect. I cannot tolerate ignorant, washed up "stars" that try to put their two senses in when the don;t even have one sense.

Andrew

That serandon bitch needs to shut the **** up.
She is irrelevant in any situation and needs to go away.

Angry Wes

If he was in the Hitler youth, then he was a Nazi. Fact is Fact.

SickOfHollywood'sIgnorance

Susan Sarandon and her ilk can all go back to their nice neat little homes and rot. I am sick to death of Hollywood's ignorance and airs they put on for who they think they are. They got where they are because of the rest of the world who spends their money to see their work-not their stupid opinions. They should think before they open their insulting traps. I personally have stopped spending my hard earned money on these morons who insist they know what is right-why don't they go fight for our country that gives them the right to be idiots, why don't they give their hard earned money toward the deficit-oh poor babies they work so hard. ...Sorry eff 'em all.

Sarah

Susan Sarandon is a sour old woman and an ignorant bigot. Who cares what that old has-been says about anything? She's a shrew.

Jeff

That is not a Hitler Youth uniform. In this photo the future Pope is wearing a Luftwaffe uniform. Near the end of the war adolecents were conscripted. He was part of an Anti-Aircraft gun crew. Oddly, due Goering's lust for power, such crews were under Luftwaffe control, as well as the paratroopers. Normally in other countries the Army usually is responsible for those duties, not the air force.

Keith

What do you expect from a Hollywood, left wingnut, athiest?

turtle herder

So, now the Pope is saying he had to be pope because it was required by the Nazi's?\

Hitler youth,,required by the Nazi's.

Jennifer

Susan Sarandon is a POS for saying that about Pope Benedict XVI. How dare she call him a Nazi, just because he is German!! She, like that other liberal idiot, Bill Maher, is an ignorant nutjob and both of them should be locked up in a psychiatric ward!!

me_2

Hey guys, my Land is not your Land, do not speak this bad about us! We are no 'NAZIS', please realise this! Come here and learn ... Every time we made it better, u call us 'Nazis' ... WHY? We know, every school child in Germany know, that the HOLOCAUST was not a misstake, it was mass murder, with no excuse!!! Do not call the generations after 'NAZIS' ... DO NOT!!!

Sorry for my bad english, i am in progress ...

A1Commenter

Susan has the right to say what she wants -- it's called freedom of speech. And she (like Hank Williams Jr.) will need to deal with any and all consequences of her speech. However, I find it ironic that the pedophilic Catholic Church is rather hypocritical for calling out anyone. Personaly, I don't care what the Pope did back then. I am more offended by his behavior now! Not only in regard to protecting assaulting priests, but also by his self indulgence. I refer to him a Pope Prada (for his expensive taste in shoes). A sharp distinction from Christ's sandals. It is an abomination that such a self-indulgent man sits on the throne of St. Peter.

By the way, I made a similar comment to this earlier and it disappeared. I think if this site is going to pull a comment, the very least they can do is send me an email of rationale. It cannot be just because I called myself a recovering Catholic.

jason

Sounds like something I would say when I was young and ignorant. For Gods Sake Susan grow up already. Its just sounds so stupid coming out o*****row womens mouth. Silly hippies. They will sometimes say or believe anything, right??

lizard

everyone knows how history can be changed, and probably what the pope's spin doctors did. he would have been executed if he "declined" to attend Hitler Youth meetings. pope is full of poop.

hml

Susan Sarandon is a typical Hollywood liberal idiot. She obviously goes by the rule of never let a little thing like facts get in the way o*****ood story. Too bad her story is nothing but a pack of lies.