Susan Sarandon

Claims Pope Is a 'Nazi'

10/17/2011 10:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Susan Sarandon
Susan Sarandon
referred to Pope Benedict XVI as a Nazi over the weekend – not just once, but twice.

During an interview at the Hamptons Film Festival, Sarandon was talking about sending the pope a copy of the book, “Dead Man Walking,” when she clarified ... “The last one [Pope John Paul II], not this Nazi one we have now.”

When interviewer Bob Balaban expressed disapproval, Sarandon reportedly said the Nazi comment AGAIN -- drawing laughter from the audience.

The Pope's PR people acknowledged that Benedict WAS a member of the Hitler Youth as a boy, a requirement at the time for German boys his age -- but the rep insists he had no "active participation" in the group.

1017_benedict_youth
We've reached out to Susan's people for comment -- so far, no response.

ima firefly

Oh Susan... I have been a fan, but will now seriously redefine my views of you. Ignorance is not bliss when used for defamation...it will always come back to bite you in the asteroid. Bless your sweet lil'm pea-pickin' heart, huney!

Bob Brown

Well, She isn't in a class by herself...Right there along with Danny Glover, Sean Penn and the other jerks. Like those kids had a choice when it came to joining the Hitler Youth Groups. Susan, Mark Twain said it best..."Better to keep your mouth shut and let people only think you are a fool then to open it and remove all doubt".

ET

sell the Vatican and feed the world!!!

Yamiguru

The Pope's PR people acknowledged that Benedict WAS a member of the Hitler Youth as a boy = Nazi.

but the rep insists he had no "active participation" in the group.

By putting on the uniform, he actively participated.

BrynK

Hey she calls it as she sees it! It is what it is!

John

Sarrandon is a has been who needs to draw publicity by making inane comments such as this in hopes of rekindling her lost acting career. While she finds it amusing many Cathoilcs and Christians in the world don't. Good job Susan by alienating more people. What a fool!

Michael

I will never watch another bit of film that has Susan Sarandon involved with it. NEVER.

maribeth

I am outraged at thi*****eful woman's 3evil words. I have not liked her for a long time, but now I find her despicable.

Grandpa

What a cu_t!

Howard

And then the Pope called Susan Sarandon a c**t.

Tony

This is the most ignorant remark Sarandon could ever make, it shows how little she knows about history. Her remark to the Pope being a Nazi is as bad as calling a black man the "N" word. I know much about this first hand, my wife's brother was born in 1940 and was a Hitler youth until age 5 when the war ended, her 13 year old uncle was drafted one week before the war ended and captured. These young men had no choice, I am glad that not only Catholics but Jewish groups are upset with Sarandon as well. It show just how ignorant she really is and how insensitive her comment was. I cannot say I am surprised though, I know that many Hollywood starlets and actors are very ignorant on many issues, usually politics but Ms. Sarandon shows they know very little about history. What gets me is that very few news outlets are playing this, this should be shown as much as the Mel Gibson ignorant comment. I hope TMZ trashes her and gives her one of their little nicknames.

Tony

This is the most ignorant remark Sarandon could ever make, it shows how little she knows about history. Her remark to the Pope being a Nazi is as bad as calling a black man the "N" word. I know much about this first hand, my wife's brother was born in 1940 and was a Hitler youth until age 5 when the war ended, her 13 year old uncle was drafted one week before the war ended and captured. These young men had no choice, I am glad that not only Catholics but Jewish groups are upset with Sarandon as well. It show just how ignorant she really is and how insensitive her comment was. I cannot say I am surprised though, I know that many Hollywood starlets and actors are very ignorant on many issues, usually politics but Ms. Sarandon shows they know very little about history. What gets me is that very few news outlets are playing this, this should be shown as much as the Mel Gibson ignorant comments.

Tony

Catholics and Jewish groups are upset with Sarandon, it show just how ignorant she really is and how insensitive her comment was. What gets me is that very few news outlets are playing this, this should be shown as much as the Mel Gibson ignorant comment, come on Harvey, rip into her like she and Mel deserve. Calling a child who was forced to be a Hitler youth a Nazi is as bad as calling a black man the "N" word.

mark

LET ME TELL YOU A LITTLE ABOUT MY FAMILY MY great grandfather was lord mayor in my hometown.....the nazis tried to force him in 1933 right after Hitler took power into the Nazi party he refused and a week later he was forced to give up his job as mayor
my other great grandfather owned a large restaurant business he was forced to join or he lost his business-licence .....but he was never a Nazi he despised Hitler and his cronies and most of his suppliers have been other Jewish business owners
you have to understand this people controlled ever minute of your life there where party spies everywhere
if you read some of the court trial from the 30's or 40's you where dead if you made a joke or criticized Hitler or the party
there was one case in Berlin where a housewife made a joke on one the way to work she was arrested and executed the next day.....
the pope was 14 years old the then....what could he do????? he is a great man and a great humanitarian
there was a student group in Munich called white rose they put fliers out about Hitler and his party they caught them and killed them all....and they where 18 ,19 20 years old.......
Susan sarandon can call her lucky to live right now .....50 years ago joe mc McCarthy would throw her butt in jail for being a communist she should be ashamed of herself....

Tony

This is the most ignorant remark Sarandon could ever make, it shows how little she knows about history. Her remark to the Pope being a Nazi is as bad as calling a black man the "N" word. These young men had no choice, I am glad that not only Catholics but Jewish groups are upset with Sarandon as well. It show just how ignorant she really is and how insensitive her comment was. I cannot say I am surprised though, I know that many Hollywood starlets and actors are very ignorant on many issues, usually politics but Ms. Sarandon shows they know very little about history. What gets me is that very few news outlets are playing this, this should be shown as much as the Mel Gibson ignorant comments, I hope TMZ trashes her and gives her one of their little nicknames.