Harry Belafonte

I Wasn't Asleep

I Was Meditating!!

10/18/2011 9:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

101911_belafonte_ex2_still
Harry Belafonte says he was NOT catching up on some zzzzzzzs in the middle of a live news broadcast Friday ... insisting he was merely "meditating" with his eyes closed.

Belafonte's rep, Ken Sunshine, released a statement to TMZ ... explaining, "After weeks of literally hundreds of interviews promoting his HBO documentary, memoir and CD, Mr. Belafonte had an early morning satellite TV tour this past Friday."

"True to form, there was a technical glitch in the feed to a local station in Bakersfield, CA. His earpiece wasn’t working, so he decided to take the time to meditate before the rest of his Day-O.”

Sunshine adds, "Mr. Belafonte is 84 years young, but sharper and more awake than most who have been interviewing him. Maybe the world would be a better place if more people took a moment to meditate.”

1018_sleepy_stars_footer

Carl

So he's blaming it on the interviewer? Right...

Hey Now

That's just funny! Why is he defensive? I'm half his age and exhausted most of the time. If I sit in one spot too long I fall asleep too.

JiLL1

Yea right - meditate. Liar, Liar

TMZ - ThatThingYourMamaWarnedYouAbout

He should have blamed the Propofol. Sham'on!

Cecilia

The rep sounds awful defensive and snappy. It's not like this is the Mel Gibson tapes or getting caught in an affair.
There is no scandal here. Just say there was a simple delay & that he took a short cap nap - and be done with the issue

jmk

He's 84 years old - meditate/sleep? Who cares - he's earned a break.

KenzieQ

LEAVEeeee HARRY ALONE!!!! He is old and daylight comes and me wanna go sleep.

pizza tom

the best thing that belafonte can do is to die. simply put a gun to your head and shoot yourself. do us all a favor and silence you radical racist mouth and lay still you deliberately hateful brain and heart from ever affecting anyone again. belafonte is a racist plain and simple. his message i*****red for those who do not march toward his plantation. for belafonte to keep the black man on the liberal plantation has been a life long goal. belafonte is pure black trash......

Justice_4_Kelly

I think whoever was in the station's control room saw him "meditating" and decided to mute the station's end of the audio and never gave a heads up that they were going live.

derty ernie

Bellafonte is a racist. He hates whites and repubs and always has. What a foul person

wrai

Bet he was dreaming of a world without white people. He's racist like that...

Canadasux

Harry Belafonte is a crackpot!

Cheryl A.

Does he snore when he meditates like my husband does?

AlwaysOnTimeB

I know, I know....he wasn't sleeping, he was jus*****ching the inside of his eyelids!!!

Chuck

Harry is a bad human being who hates. He opens his mouth to fill the air with vile vomit. I'm glad he went to sleep and shut up for a while.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments