Mickey Rooney

Slammed by Former Asst.

'Gruff, Hostile and Rude'

10/20/2011 3:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1020_mickey_rooney_getty_ex
90-year-old Mickey Rooney is not the sweet, adorable guy he appears to be ...  at least according to legal docs filed by his former assistant, who claims the actor is a mean, abusive old man.

The woman behind the allegations is Cindy Smith -- who claims she served as Mickey's right hand lady from 1984 to 1991 and again from 2000 to 2010.

Rooney's lawyers recently filed a lawsuit against Smith -- accusing her of elder abuse and fraud.  But in new court documents, Smith says she is the real victim, because Rooney was a stubborn and abusive boss ... and all she did was try to look out for his best interests.

In the docs, Smith explains, "Mickey was condescending and gruff, hostile and rude, insulting and dismissive, and yelled quite often."

Cindy also claims Mickey was always looking to get himself involved in "get rich quick schemes" -- and she and Mickey's stepson would constantly have to protect him from squandering his money.

We've reached out to Mickey's lawyers for comment -- so far, no response.

1020_mickey_rooney_footer

Kabala

Get him a teeth whitener - stat.

flora68

What do you expect her to say?, She can't rip him off anymore, she's being investigated, she's pissed. I'm just sure she's gonna say he's a peach...

megnyc

you mean to say a former child start is all those bad things??

Lynn

If you work for someone for 17 years that is mean, abusive and hostile I think you only have yourself to blame. You get no sympathy from me. She didn't like him but didn't mind taking his money. Trying to protect him? Yeah, right!

Cheryl A.

I have had a LOT of bosses in my life who were "gruff, mean and grumpy" I never knew I could sue for that.....lol.

Cat

Met him years ago and found him to be quite rude then. Not surprised to hear about lawsuit.

Lekili

There are so many holes in this story it's almost laughable. If this woman felt so abused why would she go back to work for him?
You really need to ask yourself that question.
If he's into get rick quick schemes, my money is on him having dementia or Alzheimer's, the rest of her complaints also lead me to believe this is going on with him.
Drop your lawsuit lady, you look like a fool.

JimmyB

Boo Hoo ya big whiny crybaby. Worked for him for 16 years, even returning a second time. It's called QUITTING if ya don't like it.

ralphie the one-eyed

He’s Mickey F. Rooney, and he can do anything he damn well pleases.

NoBozo

Anyone growing up in Hollywood for decades has heard the stories of the rude "little guy" who is known as Mickey Rooney. He was an abusive husband, a jerk to workers who he deemed as beneath him, and an all-round ugly, human being. That this is making the news is old news TMZ. He's in his 90, needs medication for senility and behavior modification. I had to do it for my 91 year old father who was a jerk, too. That's the reality of being old.

Woot

Who DIDN'T know he was an abusive personality to work with?

Truth

I BELIEVE IT!! DUDE IS ROUGH AND GRUFF IN MANY PUBLIC CLIPS. IMAGINE WHEN THE CAMERAS ARE OFF. DUDE YOU'RE LIKE 100 ALREADY... WHY WOULD YOU NEED GET RICH QUICK SCHEMES, WTF. MUST BE SUFFERING FROM PROPOFOL ADDICTION. TRUTH!!!

ChloeMarie

From all the stories, he's always had sawed-off-little-runt syndrome...

Muppet

I agree with another poster that he may be suffering from some form of dementia. These diseases can magnify characteristics of a person, especially the bad ones. Has anyone close to him thought about taking him to see a doctor? They shouldn't just assume that his behavior is getting worse because he's old and he was always gruff etc. Choosing to get involved in get rich quick schemes leads me to believe he's suffering from some form of dementia. I may be wrong but after dealing with someone with dementia it does make one wonder.
I don't think sueing him is a proper way to deal with this. Why doesn't his assistant if she really cares for him talk to his wife and get the man to see a neurologist and psychologist etc.? Seems she's only worried about the money and not what is truly wrong with this man.

ghfghfg