Omar Sharif

Slaps Woman

at Qatar Film Festival [VIDEO]

10/27/2011 9:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_gcw2ofe1_0_3mf2iimg
Hollywood legend Omar Sharif lost his cool at a film festival in Qatar this morning ... and angrily slapped a woman right on the red carpet.

Sharif was at the Doha Tribeca Film Festival for a screening of one of his movies ... when a woman approached him on the red carpet ... and tried to take a picture with the 79-year-old actor.

Sharif -- who was nominated for an Oscar in 1962 for his role in "Lawrence of Arabia" -- lashed out in Arabic ... telling the woman to wait her turn ... and then slapping her.

Moments later, the woman smiled and posed for a photo with Sharif like nothing ever happened.

Watching from the video, it's unclear if Sharif made contact with the woman's face -- but one reporter who was at the scene tweeted, "Omar Sharif just hit a woman. Very stupidly, in front of a camera."

Sharif has a long history of getting physical with people -- back in 2003, he attacked a cop in a Paris casino and in 2007, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery for beating up a Beverly Hills parking attendant.

Calls to Sharif's camp have not been returned.

brett

wikipedia says he was found guilty of head butting a cop in a paris casino who tried to interrupt a disagreement between him and a croupier. and he was found guilty of assaulting a parking lot attendant and breaking his nose in beverly hills. the guy has definite anger issues. look at the poor lady/assistant that obviously knows this and comes up to put her hand on his back seeming to indicate he should calm down. but I agree doesn't look like he made contact with her face. More likely the shoulder as it flicks her hair - not excusing it - but I think it explains why she is still willing to shoot a photo with the jerk.

squeakermama

Time to find Grandpa a facility for dementia.

Simone

This is what happens to some men as they get old - their tempers flare and they lose self-control. My elderly dad raises his hand to me at least once a week.

carol

I can't get real angry with him, even though I should. I saw Dr. Zhivago at least 28 times in my lifetime - how can I be angry with one of the stars of that film - MY FAVORITE MOVIE by the way. If he did that to me, I probably would have hit back to be honest.

Oval Beach

Yeah...that's a picture worth keeping huh. She was near tears, you could tell that she was still processing what this *********aid to her, that he was physically violet to her and that he had the nerve to act fakely contrite so he could get that "damn" picture NOW for her. What a moron.

Celebrities Suck

she's lucky he didn't take his shoe off and whacked her with it....

nipples mugee

looks alot like Muammar Gaddafi except no bullet hole in the left side of his head..

JimBeam

I don't see the big deal. A slap doesn't mean anything and she obviously wasn't hurt. Let it go.

Sara

This has nothing to do with being an Arab. This has to do with him being old, stupid and abusive. Women are abused everyday by white men, black men, arab men, polish men, etc. I understand arabic and he is ignorrant by the words he spoke to her. She should have smacked him back or walked away and not took a pic with him.

Reem

translation is that she said i wanna a picture with u 2 times while others say the same thing so he lost his cool :( ... but he didn't slap her he just moved her hair away :)

Muppet

Omg why do women allow men to treat them this way? If it was me he hit I would've knocked him out! Absolutely no excuse for his behaviour!

Lola

He actually kept saying "Stay in line, don't worry i'm not leaving anyone, I'll take a picture with them all" and they all nicely laughed when that stupid girl broke the line and wanted to take a picture. She even kept apologizing, meaning that she actually was wrong.

Straight Talkin Texan

What a jerk! However, I know I've WISHED many times that I could do that. Maybe I should get a sex change and become an arab man. That way I can act like a fool!

Lin

It appears he did not hit her in the face, but it does show one of the aides directed her to stand there and wait for a photo.She didn't do anything that should have prompted this kind of reaction from him.She was very embarrassed though.
Wish we had a translator so we could hear the dialogue.
Very sad clip..

LC

I don't give a **** who he is, how is possible that people didn't do anything and she still taking picture with him My GOD!!!!