Omar Sharif

Slaps Woman

at Qatar Film Festival [VIDEO]

10/27/2011 9:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_gcw2ofe1_0_3mf2iimg
Hollywood legend Omar Sharif lost his cool at a film festival in Qatar this morning ... and angrily slapped a woman right on the red carpet.

Sharif was at the Doha Tribeca Film Festival for a screening of one of his movies ... when a woman approached him on the red carpet ... and tried to take a picture with the 79-year-old actor.

Sharif -- who was nominated for an Oscar in 1962 for his role in "Lawrence of Arabia" -- lashed out in Arabic ... telling the woman to wait her turn ... and then slapping her.

Moments later, the woman smiled and posed for a photo with Sharif like nothing ever happened.

Watching from the video, it's unclear if Sharif made contact with the woman's face -- but one reporter who was at the scene tweeted, "Omar Sharif just hit a woman. Very stupidly, in front of a camera."

Sharif has a long history of getting physical with people -- back in 2003, he attacked a cop in a Paris casino and in 2007, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery for beating up a Beverly Hills parking attendant.

Calls to Sharif's camp have not been returned.

concernedcollector

If he struck me like that there would be two more hits: me punching him in the throat and Omar hitting the floor. Jerk.

RamHead

Reminded me of John (Lawrence) Russell, the villain who was shot by the preacher (Clint Eastwood) in the movie Pale Rider. But John Russell died in 1991.

Ozzie X

@LI_Mom I'm sure you get slapped on the hand when dinner is not on the table.. perpetuate ignorance..

concerned citizen

i would have caved his face in if he did that to my girlfriend....

jrcole

i am sorry old man or not if he slapped me on the shoulder like that he'd be picking his ass off the sidewalk and she would get by with it because he punched her 1st.shame on omar he is totally not a gentlemen like they used to be bk in the old days.who does he think he is he shd be glad someone that young knows who he is.

ShaneOmac

It's Shariah Law (Big in the middle east) where women are beat for anything resembling disrespect.

awaily

I would have broke that old mans hip. He should be ashamed and yes he needs his ass beat for that.

SusanCoyote

Once a woman-hating Arab, always a woman-hating Arab!

Anna

I don't think he made contact. She wouldn't have stuck around and smiled for a photo. She was rude and cut in line. Some people think they can force themselves on stars and stars do get cranky occasionally. Backstory: did he already know this woman?

JaundicedEye

Good for him! That's how you deal with rude people... SLAP!

e33

Not seeing any slap in the video.

Anna

Didn't Fidel Castro once put a reporter over his knee and spanked her for making an inappropiate comment to him? It was hilarious because she did not expect to be spanked by the leader of Cuba.. LOL

Barb

I was aghast. I told my 29 year old daughter about it and showed her the video. Her reaction astounded me. She said: "Anyone that cuts in line should be slapped, I hate that. Good for him". Yikes, what have I begotten?

Rabbitt

Oh my God. I thought he was dead. I mean the slapping thing, whatever, don't care. But oh my God Omar Sharif is still alive!

marko

most males would have loved a young gal getting in the way but an angry slap whether it landed or not speaks to his views of women agression & no self control. what a loser now!