Eddie Murphy

I'm Not Mad at 'SNL' Anymore

11/3/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

110311_eddie_still

Good news boys and girls ... Mr. Robinson might actually return to the neighborhood.**

Eddie Murphy just told Ellen Degeneres he's finally gotten over his beef with "Saturday Night Live" ... the show that helped launch him into superstardom 25 years ago.

During the interview, Ellen asked, "Is there something going on that you have not been back for a while on SNL? Will you go back and host?"

Eddie replied, "Not anymore. Now, I’m cool.  I would go back if it was the right stuff, situation."

When Ellen asked why Eddie had issues with the show, he didn't come all the way clean ... but explained, "It was couple ... Over the years ... they did little s**tty  stuff where I was like, hey, f*ck y’all. I’m not trippin. It was years ago. I don’t have any bad blood with that show. And that show is such a big part of my past. I love being part of it. Yeah, I wanna go back."

It's long been rumored that Eddie's problem with "SNL" started with a sketch on David Spade's Hollywood Minute segment ... when a picture of Eddie appeared on screen and David said, "Look children, a falling star ... quick, make a wish!"

**For those too young to get the reference, check out Eddie's old Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood sketch (below) ... hilarious.

CountryGal

Eddie Murphy sucks. He's crawling out of his sewer because he needs money. He dates transexuals and hates white people. Loser!

CountryGal

Oh and he's a cry baby! David Spade made fun of him so he hates SNL? What about him making fun of people on the show? He made fun of Mr. Rogers, white people, etc.. Idiot

WhoRU

LOL eddie murphy broke wow you ppl are nuts eddie still spending shrek money.

soulofanangel

EDDIE MURPHY is Dinosaur News. SNL is like an ice cream cone..good at first but just a mess at the end.

DirtySouth

I remember when Spade made that joke. I thought it was odd that someone who wasn't even a star would say the funniest person in the histor of SNL would be a falling star. Collectively, no one from SNL is anywhere close to Eddie in terms of success and stardom after SNL, except for maybe Sandler. Tina Fey, maybe, but she has to work hard at it. Eddie's seemed effortless in comparison. David Spade is a hack actor by comparison. He rides the coat tails of Sandle, Rock, and Scheider. He always plays the same character. Look at his current tv show, it's the same character as the one from ****ie Roberts. The other actors on the show are funnier without him and it looks as though the writers have to force lines and space for his character.

Rutherford

Murphy's real beef with the show was not the referenced Spade comment but jokes on Weekend Update concerning his being picked up with a transvestite prostitute in May of 1997. He repeatedly stated that THAT was the final straw in his relationship with SNL.

anony

The thing is, at the time, Spade was right. Murphy was making bad movies and bad choices. He rebounded with Bowfinger, I think.

stu

just like David Chipendelle....Eddie sucks too!

Eddie

BS. The early 80s Eddie was the show. He made the ratings. Chase, Belushi, all of them never did that.

Momba

I use to enjoy Eddie's movies, but after failing to be apart of his daughter (Angel) life because he didn't want a child with Mel B put a bad taste in my mouth. I now feel he is nothing more the a looser has been, and I wont go see his movies or watch the Oscars.

Chuck

What part of the Spade statement isn't true? Murphy is yesterdays news.

Franko

Just reading his response makes me cringe and reminds me of Cosby (Bill) towards Wanda Sykes,"Speak English".

TheHOLETruth

David SPADE. Eddie Murphy is a sell-out to his own race [and they don't get it] After continuously mocking black women, black folks caught on that Hollywood was using him to denigrate blacks and shut him down [hens his disappearance]

Bottom line, "I would go back if it was the right stuff [money], situation. "Eddie's star has seen better days and he'll take anything. He's only good for a couple laughs, that stupid laugh has played out... not worth wasting your money to see.

kim

They gave you your big break so stop bitching.Oh you're "NOT BIG MAN on CAMPUS" anymore so NOW you'll go back???? W O W, HOW GENEROUS....

nof

Eddie Murphy's a genius.

Along with Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Adam Sandler?

The greatest gifts possible from that show.

Murphy will be a smash as Oscar-host.

It's a great call on behalf of his director/The Academy.

2011-2012 will forever be known as:

"The Return Of Eddie Murphy."

Stay tuned for Part Deux, kids.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments