Brett Ratner

Quits Oscars

after Homophobic Slur

11/8/2011 4:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_brett_ratner_bn_tmz
Brett Ratner
claims he's officially "resigned" as producer of the 2012 Academy Awards ... after dropping the homophobic F-bomb at a media event Sunday night.

Ratner -- best known for directing the "Rush Hour" movies -- was at a fan Q&A session for "Tower Heist" Sunday when he told the crowd, "Rehearsal is for f*gs."

Now, he's penned an open letter ... apologizing for the "hurtful and stupid things I've said" ... and adding, "Having love in your heart doesn’t count for much if what comes out of your mouth is ugly and bigoted."

Ratner continued, "Being asked to help put on the Oscar show was the proudest moment of my career. But as painful as this may be for me, it would be worse if my association with the show were to be a distraction from the Academy and the high ideals it represents."

Ratner says he's been in contact with GLAAD -- the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation -- and he promises he will work to "increase awareness of the important and troubling issues this episode has raised."

"I deeply regret my actions and I am determined to learn from this experience."

Tom Sherak -- the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences -- issued a statement saying, "[Brett] did the right thing for the Academy and for himself."

He added, "Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent."

110811_ratner_still_2

Captain Obvious

Apologies are for *******.

ShaneOmac

Why the hell are we so afraid of offending the gay community, or any community for that matter? It wasn't "hate speech".. Why can't we just let people be people, and leave the whinny, playground finger pointing to the Democrats?! Oops... Did I just offend Democrats? Grow up and get a sense of humor bitches! Oops... Did I just offend bitches?

goosling

good riddance. such a terrible director.

D

It's shocking to me that someone who works in an industry that has as many gays and lesbians working in it along side him...would say something like this. I am embarrassed for him. He probably meant in a joking manner...but, he should use something else to joke with. It's a very derogatory remark (just like the "N" word is) and anyone who doesn't see it that way is an ASS!

rosebud626

i'm so tired of everyone being so PC. It's gotten out of control. By no means do I advocate hate towards others but I'm sick of people complaining all the time that their little feelings got hurt. There are way more hurtful things that one con do besides using their words.

Randy Morrison

I am a gay man, was at one of the very first organizational meetings for GLADD in Los Angeles, and I say to Mr. Ratner: Thank you for the apology. It was sincerely worded and nothing further needs to be said. We ALL say things we later regret. I use the "f" word a lot, but I think it's like black people using the "n" word...it's not for OTHERS to throw around lightly. Your apology, to me, is accepted. It's refreshing to hear a direct apology instead of "If I offended anyone..." You are a big man to say you are sorry...THANKS!

myliverhurts

Holy ***amania Batman!

Muppet

This is getting ridiculous now. Can people not apologise for a mistake and carry on with their jobs and their lives. Does it have to be an all out drag them through the dirt moment? I think this has got out of hand! It's time to stop the nonsense and act like adults. If someone apoligises, accept it and move on! Doesn't anyone deserve a second chance anymore?

JackyD233

Saying something and then immediately being a little bitch, apologizing and calling GLADD is for ****. It bothers me people are so afraid to say something anymore even if it wasn't meant in a hurtful way. Context. Check it.

Lauren

the audience reaction was so awkward

Hohan

Um, rehearsal IS for ****

Hohan

Rehearsals are for humans of the same gender who have sex with one another. There. Everyone happy now.

mildly insane

It was meant to mean rehearsals were for wusses / *******
not gays its called context the English language
is full of words with more than one meaning stop being idiot children "he called me a name" grow up

lucas

What if he had said "rehearsal is for "******s'? Do you think people would have been upset. The double standard is revolting.

NotVeryPC

Somebody call the Waaambulance!!! He said the "f" word, are you serious? If you get butt-sore (pardon the pun) over that, you need to grow some thicker skin! I don't call the ACLU when people tell me Polish jokes, but maybe I'll start. Yes, I know, that sounds as stupid as this man chastised for say the word ***** .. maybe he was referring to his cigarette.