Brett Ratner

Quits Oscars

after Homophobic Slur

11/8/2011 4:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_brett_ratner_bn_tmz
Brett Ratner
claims he's officially "resigned" as producer of the 2012 Academy Awards ... after dropping the homophobic F-bomb at a media event Sunday night.

Ratner -- best known for directing the "Rush Hour" movies -- was at a fan Q&A session for "Tower Heist" Sunday when he told the crowd, "Rehearsal is for f*gs."

Now, he's penned an open letter ... apologizing for the "hurtful and stupid things I've said" ... and adding, "Having love in your heart doesn’t count for much if what comes out of your mouth is ugly and bigoted."

Ratner continued, "Being asked to help put on the Oscar show was the proudest moment of my career. But as painful as this may be for me, it would be worse if my association with the show were to be a distraction from the Academy and the high ideals it represents."

Ratner says he's been in contact with GLAAD -- the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation -- and he promises he will work to "increase awareness of the important and troubling issues this episode has raised."

"I deeply regret my actions and I am determined to learn from this experience."

Tom Sherak -- the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences -- issued a statement saying, "[Brett] did the right thing for the Academy and for himself."

He added, "Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent."

110811_ratner_still_2

nof

I've seen gay comics working gay clubs and they go at the Gay Community a lot harder than Brett Ratner ever has or will.

They have a sense of humor about themselves now and they're no longer so touchy.

Dianna

Ah, so it begins. The puzzle is beginning to take shape. Eyes will be opened.

Markus

SO SICK OF PC - wise up people, we are being conditioned into *******.

Surprised Brett folded - but there's the hollywood gay mafia power for ya!

Julie

I do not even know who this guy is just saw F bomb and what? This is a new saying oooo no F bombs are invading are media.I can not believe how sensitive everyone blows up over a word ready to throw crap or have him have to apoligize..isnt this just and ongoing thing the media blows out of porportion to have a so called exclusive..I am sure there is alot more important things going on in this world..whoppie doo! Hey the chicken joint sounded more interesting than this..Flava flav chicken qnd the chicken war, chicken flying people protesting over chicken..now thats news...lol

Josh

Everytime I hear about one of these GLAAD overly sensitive complaints, I have even less sypathy for their cause. The fact is that gay people are going against nature. Nature dictates that if men and women do not choose the opposite sex to mate with, the human race would go extinct. Anyone who argues that fact is clearly lying through their teeth.

Nonetheless, I have absolutely no hatred for people who choose to satisfy themselves with a member of their own gender, AS LONG as they don't try to promote that type of lifestyle publicly. A little peck or two, fine, but public flaunting? NO! It's simply not what nature intended, and we could not survive as a species if we were all gay.

JohnD

This is such BS. More and more words you're not allowed to say because people decided is offensive.
let's pick an innocent word, start using it to describe a group of people and see how long it takes until no one dares saying more than the first letter.

it's ok to be a racist or a bigot as long as you don't use these words.
also, if these words are bad in the US, no one else in the world should use them

yes, we are American, and we are that stupid.

ARTOFWAR

....Enough with this blanket phrase "HOMOPHOBIA"---- The definition of phobia being---- a persistent, FEAR of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

The majority of people do not live in persistent FEAR of homosexuals, nor do they have a compelling desire to avoid them.

However, many are disgusted by homosexuals and/or according lifestyles.

So I propose we usher into the English lexicon a few new words;

HOMODISGUST, HOMODISGUSTIA, HOMODISGUSTIATION, HOMODISGUSTED, HOMOMDISGUSTIC, HOMODISGUSTUAL.

The new word HOMODISGUST, and its various variations are indeed words that more accurately define the way most so-called-- homophobes-- feel about homosexuals.

HOMODISGUST, is a new word that should not be confused with HOMOPHOBIA---- two different words, two entirely different and distinct definitions.

Thank you, and good day....Artofwar

Josh

We have WAY to many people without any spines in this country, who are too afraid to speak out against all this "politically correct" BS! I know the majority of people don't believe in GLAAD's mission to promote gays as if they were a perfectly natural thing. They simply are not. We need to promote TOLERANCE and ACCEPTANCE, but NOT try to pretend that two men having sexual contact is perfectly natural. If I did it, I would not be ashamed. But I would NOT try to convince the world, and the world's children, that it was normal behavior.

Claus

He apologized????? What a ***! *****! What is happening? Why is an organisation claiming to represent the feelings of others? Why are these idiots letting themselves get bullied by these homo groups? Enough already. Stand your ground against these language fascist and tell them censorhip is for freakin' ****.

God-Of-Lyf

Well thats... Gay!

Just Saying...!!!

Joe

NEWS FLASH: Someone no one knows quits something no one cares about over something that only bothers the politically correct.

PS "the F bomb" euphemism is already taken.

andre`

He is a fat ugly man. Who cares about Brett.

JMP

Seriously??? Okay, all you gays and lesbians that feel offended by **** like that need to chill the **** out. No one will ever take you serious if you keep whining and complaining about **** like that. I have gay friends that use that word themselves, joking around about it and what not. This is RIDICULOUS. There are people out there that are against homosexuals, but I doubt that every single one of them wishes dead and what not upon you. Chill and stop taking yourself so serious. Women get called sluts and bitches and what not every single day. Just listen to some rap music. Am I a offended by that as a women?? NO because I 1. have a sense of humor and I 2. dont take every little **** serious that I hear. Grow up ffs. It's getting old, its getting really old. Same with all the reports about gays being beat up or bullied, that is tragic and sad, but how many heterosexual people are beat aup and bullied every single day??????

buzz kill

A phobia is a fear of something. Just because you don't like Queers doesn't mean you you are afraid of them. Just keep them away from the children.

billy cema

Words are remembered sometimes all the way to the grave. Who among us doesn't remember a loved one's putdown, after a long, long period?
A slap is forgotten in due time, but words will hurt for a lifetime.
Now if only gays will remember how words hurt, and will rebuke their women celebs who use them to hurt certain ethnics.
Example? Ms. Jenner using the derogatory lie, "Indian Giver" on national tv.