Heavy D

Dead at 44

11/9/2011 5:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_heavyd_EX_02
update_bar
5:12 PM:  An associate of Heavy D's just told us the rapper had pneumonia.

4:28 PM:  Law enforcement tell TMZ ... Heavy D had just returned from shopping and walked up some stairs when he began having trouble breathing.  Adam Mills, a designer who was in the building and knew Heavy D, found him leaning against a railing and clearly in distress.  Adam tells us he cradled Heavy D in his lap as others called 911.  Adam says Heavy D was conscious and said to him, "I can't breathe, I can't breathe."  When paramedics took Heavy D to the hospital he had a pulse.  People in the building are saying he died of a heart attack, but we have not been able to confirm that.  Law enforcement sources tell us ... no foul play was involved and so far they only know the cause of death was "medical."

------------------------

Rap legend Heavy D -- one of the most influential rappers of the '90s -- died earlier today ... TMZ has learned.

Heavy D -- real name Dwight Arrington Myers -- was rushed to an L.A. hospital around noon today ... and was pronounced dead at the hospital at 1 PM. He was 44 years old.

We've learned a 911 call was placed from Heavy's Beverly Hills home around 11:25 AM to report an unconscious male on the walkway .

When help arrived, we're told Heavy D was conscious and speaking -- and was transported to a nearby hospital.

He died a short time later.

Cops are investigating the death -- and so far, there are no obvious signs of foul play. Police are currently at the home.

1108_heavys_house_tmz_wm
Heavy D had several massive hits -- including "Now That We Found Love." He also wrote and performed the theme song for "In Living Color" ... and appeared as an actor in the movie "Life."

Heavy just performed at the Michael Jackson Tribute Concert in Wales on October 8. He sang "Jam" with La Toya Jackson -- and rocked it (video below).

110811_heavy_d_still

Eddie F -- one of the founding members of Heavy D & the Boyz -- issued a heartfelt statement about his longtime friend ... saying, "We were only young kids out of high school when we got into the game just wanting to make fun music filled with love and excitement."

"We always had so much fun as a group. I cherish all the happy times we had together while unknowingly helping to build the movement and legacy we call Uptown Records" ... adding, "I love you Hev and we all will miss you so much."

1108-heavy-d-remember

More Today in TMZ History

=0

How come all the great musicians are dying out so fast D=? We need to keep some good old time classics alive with us !

Betty

RIP...BIG DOG

mark

Poor guy must have been so scared while he was having his Heart attack.
I survived one and it was the scariest event of my life. I did not know his music but I hope he rests in peace.

God will wipe away all the tears and give you eternal bliss.

Cisco

R.I.P Heavy ,We'll miss you!

eyelashes

RIP!!!!!!!!! My heart out to you and your family......you were that greatest and will always be in my book. Love ya...

MIDNIGHT TOKER

never heard of the guy but if your reading this and over weight...go on a diet.44 is too young to die.

Will

R.I.P Heavy D...pioneer of true real hip hop
GOD BLESS YOU

carmeshia

i really love heavy d so heavy d rest in peace and my prayers go out to his family

blondie

gone too soon. rest in peace.

NATHANIEL

R.I.P TO MY BOY HEAVY D WE ALL LOVE YOU

musa ligembe

we will always remember your our brother.Rest in peace

Desiree Kines

Hey my mom was a big fan she loved you so much she went to see your concert back in the day my you rest in peace god bless

NYC MICHELLE

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_8svhm5ei RIP - YOU HAVE HAD SUCH A PROFOUND IMPACT ON OUR LIVES... DIED TOO YOUNG BUT LEFT BEHIND ONE HELLUVA LEGACY..... AND A HUGE INSPIRATION - ALWAYS SO COOL WITH SUCH GRACE AND A SMILE... WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WITH IT...????

Marcella Lacy

Heavy D....I enjoyed ur talent for many years. May you rest in paradise.

Big O...

HEAVY WAS ONE OF THE BEST LYRICAL RAPPERS IN THE BUSINESS. NO MATTER IF IT WAS HIM AND HIS BOYZOR COLLABORATING WITH OTHER MUSCIANS.. HEV. ALWAYS WAS ON HIS "A" GAME WITH HITS LIKE: MORE BOUNCE, GIRLS THEY LOVE ME, AND WHO COULD EVER FORGET THE "BIG DADDY" VIDEO..HE SHOWED EVEN AT A OVERWEIGHT LOVER HE COULD FLOW AND DANCE. HE WILL BE TRULY MISSED... WE LOVE YOU HEAVY