Heavy D

Dead at 44

11/9/2011 5:28 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_heavyd_EX_02
update_bar
5:12 PM:  An associate of Heavy D's just told us the rapper had pneumonia.

4:28 PM:  Law enforcement tell TMZ ... Heavy D had just returned from shopping and walked up some stairs when he began having trouble breathing.  Adam Mills, a designer who was in the building and knew Heavy D, found him leaning against a railing and clearly in distress.  Adam tells us he cradled Heavy D in his lap as others called 911.  Adam says Heavy D was conscious and said to him, "I can't breathe, I can't breathe."  When paramedics took Heavy D to the hospital he had a pulse.  People in the building are saying he died of a heart attack, but we have not been able to confirm that.  Law enforcement sources tell us ... no foul play was involved and so far they only know the cause of death was "medical."

------------------------

Rap legend Heavy D -- one of the most influential rappers of the '90s -- died earlier today ... TMZ has learned.

Heavy D -- real name Dwight Arrington Myers -- was rushed to an L.A. hospital around noon today ... and was pronounced dead at the hospital at 1 PM. He was 44 years old.

We've learned a 911 call was placed from Heavy's Beverly Hills home around 11:25 AM to report an unconscious male on the walkway .

When help arrived, we're told Heavy D was conscious and speaking -- and was transported to a nearby hospital.

He died a short time later.

Cops are investigating the death -- and so far, there are no obvious signs of foul play. Police are currently at the home.

1108_heavys_house_tmz_wm
Heavy D had several massive hits -- including "Now That We Found Love." He also wrote and performed the theme song for "In Living Color" ... and appeared as an actor in the movie "Life."

Heavy just performed at the Michael Jackson Tribute Concert in Wales on October 8. He sang "Jam" with La Toya Jackson -- and rocked it (video below).

110811_heavy_d_still

Eddie F -- one of the founding members of Heavy D & the Boyz -- issued a heartfelt statement about his longtime friend ... saying, "We were only young kids out of high school when we got into the game just wanting to make fun music filled with love and excitement."

"We always had so much fun as a group. I cherish all the happy times we had together while unknowingly helping to build the movement and legacy we call Uptown Records" ... adding, "I love you Hev and we all will miss you so much."

1108-heavy-d-remember

More Today in TMZ History

Bridgette

You will be missed. Condolences go out to the family. We love you! Heavy

candy cane

Heavy D u will be missed,wish I could have got a chance to meet you ,but I guess I never will.You are still my baby ,I love you.wit ur fine self (red bone) thick oh yeah...yummy

candy cane

Heavy D I will miss you,you are one of the sexiest men alive for a red man. Love you much.
wish I ad a chance to meet you I guess I'll never have that chance.

us2fabulous

R.I.P Heavy D...I have childhood memories that I share with my children of me being a child at your and Salt-n-Pepas concerts back in the day.The Booooomb!!

PL

My father at age 45 died of a heart attack & could not breath. Just like what they are saying Heavy D did. This brings back sad memories for me. RIP man & may god watch over your family.

Mrs D

This is so sad, just seen him on the hip hop awards he was dancing and everything, he didn't seem to be out of breath or anything, I was dancing with him, he will truly be missed.R.I.P HEAVY

CLEdwards

We all have a appointment with death, come to Jesus while you still got a chance.

G

Many good memories of this artist. I'm wondering whether he had been prescribed a fluroquinolone drug like Ciprofloxacin for pneumonia by the private Dr treating him or by was given one by the hospital. These drugs are used for pneumonia and are well known to kill or cause serious side effects including heart damage?

Annette

We love you Heavy Dittly dittly dittly D

kqren41

mjy heart is broke! he was sexy and fine as all get out! i seen him last month dancing his butt off and you woulda thought we had a child together the way i attacked that television! omg my feelings are hurt!

Webbs

Gluttony kills too...Sedentary life idiot plus a drug users.

tigpalmer

sad to hear when someone died young as that, my prayes are with the family we all love him his music, he will be miss

mimi23101

:(( i feel sorry for him while my sister is textin. She said why...... does my friend keep textin me. when she said WHY i thought she was talkin about Heavy D.

Dianne

U Will Be Miss

Dee Osborne

Who was the young dancer that was hired to work with Heavy D. one on one everyday to get him ready for his come back performance on the Hip Hop Awards Show? He also performed that night with him?

Previous 15 Comments | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments