« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mike Tyson

We Should Celebrate Joe Frazier

11/8/2011 7:17 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1107-tyson_joe_BN_01
Mike Tyson
has issued a statement about the death of boxing icon Joe Frazier -- calling Joe's passing a "sad day" ... but saying we should "honor him by celebrating his accomplishments."

Tyson went to Twitter ... and wrote, "Frazier and Ali were quintessential, the apex of pedigree fighting in which each man would not give an inch until they were dead. Their era was competitive fighting at the highest level."

He added, "As a young fighter it has always been an honor to be compared to Frasier. My family and I are sending our sincerest condolences to the Joe Frazier family."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Justine07

We should "celebrate" him because he was really good at punching out other boxers? Whatever. That's like "celebrating" that the Duggars are pregnant with their 20th kid.

Fidel Sarcastro

Joe Frazier once said that God gave Mohammed Ali Parkensons Disease, maybe God heard that and gave Frazier Cancer too.

What? Too soon?

Bill Leslie

Frazier > Ali because Frazier never stooped to saying the things Ali said.

Selebraties Suck

I feel bad for this generation who never saw great boxing: heaving weight, middle weight and light weight.

Ronald Jensen

Nice ! WELL SAID MIKE !

Tonya P

RIP Joe!

Jim

what? Some of you ignorant ***** need to calm down. If you knew anything about Tyson, you'd know he has a damn good handle on the English language, and if you ever hear him speak normally, this is exactly the type of words that come out of his mouth. He's not a 'stupid' man. If you think so, you have no idea what you're talking about. But alas, your lives suck, so go ahead and spread your stupidity.

Mubashir

he is a nice and brave sportsmen... love you!

Quazi Ahmed Hussain

It certainly is Mike Tyson. Everyone becomes a decent person and talks really serious after his/her peak time is over. So, what Mike said are words from his heart. Please don't misunderstand him; he knows how to honor the heroes.

Same time I pay my highest tributes to Joe Frazier whom I watched fight Ali in the "Thrilla in Manila". He sure was a born fighter.

Helen

We lost an icon...but heaven gained an icon and an angel. I had so much utter respect for this man. I remember so well, when my twin godsons were born in 2001, I wrote to Smokin' Joe and asked for a signed picture for each of them, and sure enough, he did so. And for that I will be forever grateful, because at age 10 now, they know about the man Mr Frazier was and about the Champion Mr Frazier was. When the boys heard of Mr Frazier being ill, they both wanted to send him a card, a healing card and a blessed metal, but he never received it as when I mailed it marked urgent, I was too late as the next day, this iconic man was gone, went home to be with his lord. God Bless You Always.

imran

I admire Joe Frazier because he was a nice man, respected in the boxing community and by the fans around the globe and he was i think the first man to defeat Mohammed Ali in the fight of the century, that sayd alot about the integrity of this man.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3