Eddie Murphy

Bails Out of Oscars

After Brett Ratner Resigns

11/9/2011 11:13 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1109-eddie-murphy-oscar-brett-ratner-tmz-BN
Eddie Murphy is showing the ultimate solidarity with good friend and producing partner Brett Ratner by quitting the 2012 Oscars, which he had agreed to host.

Ratner bailed -- though he may have had no choice -- after making a homophobic remark last week at a screening of "Tower Heist," which stars Murphy.

Murphy says he wanted to do the show and never says squarely he's bailing because Ratner is gone, but his statement leaves little doubt:  "I was looking forward to being part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I'm sure the new production team and host will do an equally great job."

Looks like the Motion Pictures Academy does better with old people -- they're generally a lot safer.

1109_oscars_hosts_footer_v2

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

longagain

Darn, I wanted to see some Mr. Rogers, Gumby, and James Brown skits...

DancingBorzoi

Yay! I was not looking forward to watching that douchebag anyway. Bring back Billy Crystal!

Jack

I'm sure Eddie will find something to the night of the Oscar's, maybe impregnate another baby mama.

DancingBorzoi

Regis is looking for work!

Mazor

Good. Now the f*gs will miss a good show because they are too f*cking sensitive.

who-me

Free Brett Ratner's Speech.

Truth

EDDIE MURPHY JUST KISSED HIS LAME AZZ CAREER GOODBYE.. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN HIS SOMEWHAT COMEBACK AS A COMEDIAN. RECALL WHEN HE LEFT AFTER HE LOST THE OSCAR FOR HIS ROLE IN DREAM GIRLS RE: BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR?? WHAT A SORE LOSER. NOW YOU SEE EDDIE'S CAREER FOLLOWING HIM RIGHT OUT OF THE THEATRE. CYA, GOOD LUCK MAKING SUPPORT PAYMENTS TO ALL YOUR BABY MAMAS. TRUTH!!!

Justin

That's so RAW, Eddie must be Delirious.

JiLL1

The Oscars are mind-numbingly boring anyway. These 2 woulda probably made it even worse

emma

good, never liked him

Dark December

F@&&0ts! Opps I cant believe I said that. Come to berkeley and see for yourself the best of what California has to offer. F@&&0ts!

Tammy

Well, I give him mad props for standing by his friend. You rarely see loyalty like that anymore, especially when the homosexuals have got you in their crosshairs.

Hep

Bring back Johnny Carson! Even deceased, he'll do a better job than most of the recent hosts.

Beetlejuice

Good for Eddie, the Oscars have been a snooze fest, was looking forward to Eddie, screw the Academy. BTW Ratner was great on Howard Stern this week, maybe thats why he was forced out.

Mark Ebner

The LBGTs of this world should appreciate this Eddie Murphy rewind. I give you...The Bagman - http://www.hollywoodinterrupted.com/2006/03/23/the-bagman/

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments