« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Muppet

After he reported it and nothing was done he should've gone to the police. Someone above him clearly didn't do their job, they should take the fall not this man. He's being used as a scapegoat.

Abysmal

He's just saying this until this dies down.

amy

Did fulfill or did not fulfill?

A_Realist

We can not blame JoPa for the another mans wrong doing. But EVERYONE needs to be held accountable, that had knowledge in this ordeal, and did nothing. Please pray for the victims and their families. No matter what justice is brought to the table for whoever and whomever, the tragedy of what happen will live with all of the victims forever.

freaksloan

If Joe Paterno ever steps on the field again, Penn State and NCAA football is a complete joke.

Julie

Someone please explain to me what a pre teen boy was doing in the Penn State locker room showers in the first place.

sh

Moral responsibility? This story is so wrong on so many levels that it is mind boggling! Didn't someone (Paterno, or the guy who saw Sandusky raping the boy in the shower) go to bed at night and say to themself, "wow, he is a pedophile. We need to make sure he does not do this again. THIS needs to STOP NOW" No, it continued on and the man has a kids foundation too. How could this keep happening? Adults knew and did nothing. Paterno is as much to blame as anyone. This is sickening!

writenow

Thank you Joe for demonstrating what Americans believe is really important. Football. Not kids. And, it's not as if that's new. In each and every case below, School officials knew, but did absolutely nothing..

david 183

Time to change the sexual abuse laws. This justice system is a big JOKE.

CR

Leave JoePa alone. He reported to his supervisor, it is the Supervisor's responsibility to contact law enforcement IF warranted. Unless Joepa WITNESSED it - he did the right thing. It sounds like they are trying to throw him under the bus to defer attention...

writenow

Oops. Sorry. Here's the link that works.

Once again school officials demonstrate their area of concern. Kids it ain't. Way to go PA. Thanks for showing all the ugly side of America. The secret's out.

Areader

There are a lot of unanswered questions as to what did Joe Paterno know regarding the sexual molestation of children at the hands of Jerry Sandusky.

JB

We don't know what exactly what the grad asst told JoePop. Even the gradd asst has said he wasn't specific because he found what he saw so upsetting. Seems like he spoke in general terms --Coach in shower with boy-- and if nothing more then JoePop did the right thing. Run to the cops for that? BUT if he was told, "I saw Coach S stick his **** in the boys mouth, etc." then that is clearly a different matter. People are rushing to judgment on too little facts. The Sheriff was out of line when he said JoePop didn't do enough. That's what has created this firestorm.

sobernow312

I live 30 minutes away from Penn State and let me tell you something, if MY son called and told me what he saw in those showers, I wouldn't have told him to come home.. At the very LEAST I would have told him to call the police and then I would have grabbed a baseball bat and headed there myself and I'm a woman...He needs his a** kicked for not helping that poor boy.. I am OUTRAGED by this... And good old Joe, needs to resign NOW !

KWDragon

If he knew about this, and I think it looks like he did, then he should be fired immediately. Sexual abuse of children occurs because adults look the other way or say it is not their responsibility to do anything. That is dead wrong. He is equally guilty of perpetuating the abuse.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments