« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

jen

all of these coaches and administrators will come out of this UNSCHATHED. retire at the end of the season???? OMG fire him and the administration today..if he is on the field this weekend we are a sad,sad country. F penn state

Vengence is Mine saith the Lord

He said he saw and he reported and he put it out of his head obviously and he did no more. I would be HAUNTED I would be HORRIFIED, I would be morally bound to do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING POSSIBLE. I would rant and rave on the street, I would warn ALL THE PARENTS, I would warn all the boys abour Evil child Rapists (without slander). He knew of Evil Child Raper and he let Evil child be interfered with. He is EVIL to of witnessed and not be effing effing HORRIFIED TO ROAR AND SHOUT IN THE STREETS LIKE A CRAZY MADMAD. ITS WORTH THE INNOCENCE AND PEACE FOR THE YOUNG BOY. ITS WORTH IT TO SAVE THE BOY. BUT THIS miserable ol f..ker went to his job the next day and got his effing pay-packed. now he retire and rot and die. He should be going around schools lectureing young boys of evil men who are mad to rape them.

manbearpig

old joe only wishes he had done more because all this has come out in public.
he didn't seem to care one bit until recently.

burt

u know it's funny they blame him but his bosses should be blamed too. they knew too. they are making him the fall guy. it's sad.

pattycake

He should resign now. Teams and coaches represent the school they work for, he no longer is a good representative. Everyone involved with this should resign now. It's shameful that the so called adults in the situation could not find it in themselves to do the right thing.

jen

its not what you do when people are looking.........
its what you do when they aren't....and this "coach" looked the other way knowing little boys where being sodomized....
he and administration must be fired immediately.i have a free penn state sweatshirt if someone wants it..i don't..

whatsup

Joe Paterno did NOT witness this event. What he was given was HEAR SAY. He reported hear say. It was up to the University officials to report it to the police and let the police determine what was factual and what was not. Has anyone said if the police were ever notified by Penn state administrators? If so, why did the police not do anything? Joe Paterno is a God fearing man that has spent his entire life working to ensure that his football players have scored a good education, first and foremost. He is a good family man. Leave him alone and let him retire in peace.

jailjopa

He knew a kid was raped. And did not call the police. HE stood by while kids were hurt, he should have done more, he has that responsibility as a human being. He should be fired at the very least.

SistahSoul

Joe should have gone to the cops HIMSELF, then told his superiors after they launched an investigation. One police report could have saved a lot of heartbreak for those innocent kids.

tangledweb

People must take a firm stand against crimes like this! There is no excuse for not doing everything possible to protect a child, especially a mentally challenged child.

AntiSocialForum.com

Good Luck going on the road to Ohio State and Wisconsin. Can't wait to see the fans signs for PSU = Pedophile State University. Give PSU hell Ohio State and Wisconsin fans!

ilovegossip

I know in my line of work, if I witness abuse (not just sexual) I am to report it to my Superior, and that is what Joe did. It's the Athletic Director and the School Dean (assuming he knew) that should be taking the heat for this, not Joe. I do question why Joe didn't ask why more wasn't done at the time. I surely would have followed up and made sure appropriate action was taken...but his original action was appropriate at the time.

swede

The sad truth is that we really aren't to bothered by child molestation. We see it in our sentencing of perputrators. We see in the still huge number of people that trapse off to the Catholic church every Sunday. There are more perpetuators than perputrators. The perpetuators are the real danger. Those who don't say anything.

wktkw

Go to wpvi.com (local abc in Philly) and read the entire grand jury report

Soetoro

Disgrace, Joe Pa should resign and give all his money to the little kids he let his buddy rape.