« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Kimetta

Who could see children being molested and not physically stop it. I would lose my mind, and beat that person off of the child!!! I don't understand a grown man seeing this and running to call his Daddy! A custodian seeing this and being shaken up. Come on. Nobody helped these kids. This was done in public! What was done in private?

3Storms

He went through the chain of command as 99% of all organizations require someone to. The assistant was tyhen not only fired but also arrested. I don't know what more people want from him. This media lynching has to stop.

anony

Yeah, that's HIS decision to retire.
They can fire him at any moment.
They're 8-1, so don't hold your breath.

Nick

They should fire Mike McQueary too. He's the guy that walked in on it in 2002 and never reported it to the police or try to stop it from happening instead he goes to his office and calls his dad

Disturbing

How anyone can feel Paterno isn't to blame is beyond me. Sandusky is villain #1 in all of this. But the failure of Paterno and the University to take this matter to the police makes them all extrememly accountable.

What if Sandusky was in the shower with Paterno's kid or grandkid, do you think it gets brushed under the rug by JoePa? Not a chance, Sandusky would have been dealt with immediately. And if even one more kid was abused by Sandusky AFTER Paterno knew what happened and didn't report it, he shares the blame in screwing up those kids lives. How can these coaches recruit kids to play football and tell their parents that their child will be taken care of at Penn State? They've shown they aren't interested in protecting anything but their jobs.

Paterno & Spanier should be fired immediately and anyone that thinks otherwises has a few screws loose themselves.

shagrath

damn shame that these incidents will severely tarnish the legacy of joes...
but when your the head football coach on any university, your are responsible for the conduct of your coaches and players, and you need to know whats going on in your own program...joes been there forever, i think he knew more he failed to report it to authorities, its a serious matter, no matter how long hes been there or how much success hes had, the right decision is to let him go today not at the end of the season...joes done alot for the game of college football, he will be missed

Neil Allen

There are two types of people:

1) those that think that the 10 yr old boy being raped in the shower deserves all of our help, all of our heroism, in any way we can give it to him, regardless of our other priorities, and regardless of what is legally required

2) Catholics

Kaffee

This is what happens when people in power do something disgusting. Underlings are afraid to report them because of their power. EVERYONE at Penn State involved with this horrible coverup should be fired NOW! People seem so concerned with the football legacy, what about the boys that were raped by this fiend and then the crime covered up by the football people in power? WHO REALLY GIVES A DAMN WHEN FOOTBALL IS AT RISK??????!!!!!

Ivy League Chad

"Penn State Forever, Molder of Men"

Too bad they never tell us how they mold their men. Hey, at least it's mildly better than the 20s-50s where Anti-semitism was the socially accepted norm at Penn.

Maria

Paterno needs to go now. Actually he needed to go 25 years ago. What the hell is the mind set of a University that they are so obssessed with winning footbal games that they let an 84 year old doddering idiot call the shots. Welcome to Pedophile U. Do you feel proud. We'll like it not, thats now what everyone thinks of Penn State. Clean all of the s*** out of there NOW. Please say a prayer for those children.

Ginger

In hindsight he wishes he had done more? He had hindsight. How much more hindsight do you need when you are told Sandusky is banging a 10 year old in the shower?

Rika

I can not believe how close that vote is, makes me want to puke. If it was your brother, sister, girlfriend, boyfriend or MOTHER who was witnessed being raped you'd all probably be after them all with shotguns but because it's **rollseyes*hero football coach**rollseyes** it's okay .... some of you need your heads examined

jt

What he did by notifying his superior might have been legal, but by God, it was not moral. And it might be different if this coach had not preached morals to his football team all these years. When push came to shove, this coach took the easy route, and he lost his soul in the process. Those kids molested after you were told, coach, are on YOU.

fp

Joe Paterno had knowledge of the crime passed it to his boss. Knew that nothing was ever done about it he is just as guilty as everyone else covering it up. I dont care how many ******* football games he done he is a disgrace. This **** was happening in the locker rooms his team uses and he stood back and didnt do anything. Joe might aswell just molested those kids himself.

Flash

What would Joe of done different if he was informed that it was one of his grandchildren being molested by Sandusky in the shower?