« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Quinn

ANYONE who says that he is being used as a "scapegoat" is either a Penn State Alum or just mentally retarded. THIS MAN WAS TOLD THAT SANDUSKY WAS RAPING A 10 YEAR OLD BOY IN THE ASS IN THE SHOWER. - RAPING A 10 YEAR OLD IN THE ASS IN THE SHOWER, I SAID. I hope anyone who finds this behavior acceptable (either the act or the act of covering it up) is not to be allowed around children nor have them.
The word horrendous does not even come close to describing this situation.

Rika

an idiot who covers for a rapist is as evil as the rapist, supporting the idiot who covered for the rapist make you an idiot as well

Just Karen

Paterno is as much to blame as anyone else. If he reported it and nothing was done, he should of went to the police himself and reported Sandusky. He could of saved many other children if he just went another step further by reporting him.

Decentdiscourse

hat a complete pile of excrement. He could give a rat's posterior about what he's done. The timing of his departure tells the whole story. "I will retire when it's convenient for myself and the football program and of course, my pension. In other words, I'll take responsibility for my actions when it is most convenient for me, after all the kid's lives are already screwed up. No point messing up everything else."

some guy

God knows. God will judge us all.

dave

He knew and let it slide-like driving the get away car-I say he's complicit and broke the law and the rules. He needs to go NOW!

Get a Clue!

I have worked with a lot of youth organizations in my life and there is one constant. Each organization talks a great game about protecting kids, but when it comes down to it, they tell their employee's NOT to contact the authorities but to put it through the chain of command at the organization. If Joe Paterno needs to retire/be fired, the who dang athletic staff needs to be released! The Athletic Director needs to be released! The President of the University and the Board NEED TO BE RELEASED! They are all responsible for the cover up! Kick them all out and start over!

Jen

This is so so disgusting. Those poor children. If I saw a man doing that to a child, I'd kill him. There are NO excuses for this. The children must have been terrified. What an evil sub-human piece of slime. Everyone who knew about this and didn't go directly to the authorities is also to blame. How could you not protect these innocent kids? :(

Chun LI

He should go NOW!!

I am Spartacus

Joe Pa should be gone NOW! If he knew anything about the molestation, which he clearly did by reporting it, then morally he should have done more if he saw nothing being done. The fact that Sandusky was working out on campus just a week ago is ridiculous.

Saying he did his job by telling his superior is a joke. The only superior Joe Pa has at that school is the President. If he saw nothing being done he should have called the cops.

JB

Everyone assumes they know exactly what PaJoe knew. You don't. Posters need to be reminded that Sandusky was no longer a Penn State coach in 2002 when the alleged act occurred.

juju

Seems to me that Penn State is once again protecting it's image and football team over the protection of children.

If it were one of Paterno's grandchildren that the graduate asst saw being RAPED he would have done ALOT more.

He needs to be fired NOW.

Steelman60

We don't know how detailed an accout McQueery told Paterno that day. If he said he saw Sandusky in the shower room with the naked boy that is not enough to make an accusation. Perhaps he was just seeing who was in there. Paterno stopped him short of that and directed him to the next level. He knew Sandusky for over 30 years he probably did not think it was possible for him to do anything like that and that it was just a matter of being in a compromising position at the wrong time. Remember this is an old school man who gives the benefit of the doubt because they did not recognize that stuff in his day. But if he knew specifics, he is dead wrong for not going right to the cops. Don't judge Paterno until the specifics are presented. Everyone overreacts and jumps to conclusions before the facts are known. He is not the authority that makes the call on what should be done at the school, the President is.

Vengence is Mine saith the Lord

I would happily kick this man o death to his last breath and love to kick his eyeballs out of his head and watch them popping out and bouncing on the ground so much is my rage over what Paterno Did. Let him rot and die and face hot fires of hell. I hope there is a hell as much as I hope there is a heaven. My protective rage caused me not to think of this now and I urge everyone to send prayers or if they not religious then send blessing of 100% healing 100% comfort to these and all boys and adult men who are suffering. Please Dear God send them full healing and comfort i beg.

JB

Sandusky was investigated in 1998 by police when a mother brought info that her son was in an inappropriate relationship with the coach. Nothing happened. Should we fire the cops?

Posters who say they'd "kill" if it were their child were molested need to get their emotions in check. 2 wrongs don't make it right.