« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Patrick O’Malley

When confronted with the major choices like this that define our lives, there are two types of people:

1) those that think that the 10 yr old boy being anally raped in the shower deserves

- all of our help
- all of our heroism
- in any way we can give it to him
- with all of our power
- regardless of our other priorities
- and regardless of what is legally required

2) Catholics

badgerprincess

I bet you "wish you could have done more" imagine if this was your grandson or son with this digusting animal hunched over him doing unspeakable things to these poor boys. You poor thing you, you are just as guilty. Good ole boys club, may you rot in hell.

Veritatis Amans

Every adult who did not follow up to the best of their ability should be held accountable and subject to the appropriate authorities/investigations.

When someone reports the molestation of a child they are not stopping it from happening; they are stopping it from happening AGAIN.

If the negligent behavior on the part of any of the adults anywhere in the Penn State food chain allowed Sandusky the freedom to molest other children - how do you get past that and say, "Oh we'll let them serve out their remaining season/tenure as Coach, trustee..."

It's truly obscene how this is unfolding and that Paterno and Spanier and others think spinning it now with "We wish we had done more..." How stupid do they think people are? And for Paterno to rally a group of college kids with "We are...Penn State" after addressing reports, is vile. Someone tells you they witnessed the rape of a child - how do you not immediately take action? Did they first have to strategize how best to minimize the impact of the scandal on the Penn State Football program???

When did children become disposable? The hubris on the part of these adults is STUNNING. What if this was your kid? Would you be stunned that all these men knew about it and yet did nothing (or nothing to follow up to make sure action was taken)? What if you were the parent of the kid who got molested AFTER someone else witnessed it happening to another child?

It's as if an actuary told officials at Penn State, keep this covered up and earn $$$ through football until it is inevitably exposed? Even with lawsuits you'll come out ahead...

Predatory sexual abuse is not someone else's problem. It's everyone's problem.

reese

he told some one the director then should have call the police...so everyone need to be fired!!!

vetten76

He is quilty of not protecting the children. What kind of man is he? Money changes your morals? I don't care who the molester was. I would have knocked him out then sent him to jail. They all should be prosecuted for covering up this terrible crime.

fanboymagazine

I understand Pedo Bear is the new mascot for Penn State...

Helpful Handyman

The pedophile lover should have done to him what little boys have had done to them! Imprison the child-abuser abedder and then let bubba have his way with him.

Helpful Handyman

May Penn State be boycotted by current and prospective students and alumni. A point has to be made or the good 'ol boys will continue to do this.

D. Haisman

Beyond the pale - Paterno should go NOW, along with everyone else who knew 'anything' about this incident - and only discussed it - but didn't contact authorities. Who, but an egotistic arrogant waste of a human being, could push this to the back of his mind, and put his "sports programs" ahead of the welfare of a child. The "only" way to possibly make them understand the magnitude of what they have done, and allowed to be done, is to graphically picture their "own" young sons and grandchildren up against a wall, naked, with Sandusky, naked, behind him - alone in a locker room -- and THEN, maybe, do you think, they would see it as evil? You know what? I don't think they would - because their egos as sports heroes and winners, are far more important.

Karla

Sorry but he reported to someone very high up with the police as he was supposed to do.... The coach had already been let go in 99 and it seems was investigated for similar allegations in 98 and the DA did not press charges that time. Paterno did not actually see it it was he said and the guy admits he did not go into detail so Paterno reported to the proper authorities. For all he knows the same thing happened and the DA chose not to press charges. Even if he had called someone they would not have told him anything and he had very slim info on the whole thing.... What about the Supervisor in 2000 who it was reported to and he told a temp employee to report it and the guy never did/why not go after him oh that is right no one knows his name......Sorry but it seems to me that many are looking for a scapegoat and Paterno is handy.....It seems to me the real people culpable are those that never investigated completely in 98 and let the guy go/funny though he was cleared and then let go by Penn State and told he would never move up/did anyone stop to think that due to the dismissed charges Paterno may have had a hand in that?????? No is seems to me that they need someone handy to throw this at and let's face it everyone knows Paterno's name......

Veritatis Amans

Renae - I don't know that anyone is blaming just Paterno. It seems most people are angry at all the identified parties, as well as all those yet to be identified, who may have had knowledge and did not fulfill their legal, moral, or ethical obligations to bring this matter to the attention of the authorities who could pursue action against the perpetrator and perhaps prevent the molestation of other children.

You don't have to witness a crime first hand to report it. If you were told by someone that they witnessed a child being molested would you just shrug your shoulders and say, "Well, I didn't see it happen, so I can't do anything about it" ? If your neighbor said she saw the guy up the block fondling your kid, would you say, I'll catch him next time when I see him do something?

I think the anger directed at Paterno has to do with his name recognition, and by no means are commenters ascribing to him greater blame: that a person with the ability, power, authority, and influence seems to have ignored or de-prioritized the moral and ethical (if not legal) responsibility in this situation, and that the victimS were the most powerless, vulnerable, and deserving of protection. After all, parents entrust their children in his care - does this mean he and all educational personnel are held to a higher standard? Maybe. But it seems as if this is a tragically tangled web, and maybe now is the time where we as a community assert our voices and say that we do not accept the lowering of the bar when it comes to preventing predatory sexual abuse and acknowledging adult culpability. The life of every child matters, and there can be no amount of money or fear of publicity or retribution that prevents us from doing our best to protect our children. I know it's soap-boxy, but I am shocked and angered by what has been alleged so far.

texas

Obviously some of you paterno supporters need to re-read the Grand Jury Report. He WAS told in detail that Sandusky was anally raping a 10 y.o. boy in the shower. He also knew of other allegations of innapropriate conduct between Sandusky and other children reported to Penn by the childrens schools. The AD and Sr. VP should go to jail, Paterno should be fired in disgrace. He is not a scapegoat, what he did was not enough, morally or otherwise, and because of it more childrebn were abused.

Patti

Read the Grand Jury findings - then ask how a rape reported to Joe became mild fondling when dealt with by Penn State. Someone is lying and the Grand Jury believed the Grad student who reported to Joe but not the Penn Stae officials. They all let the kids down but Joe needs to explain who changed it from a reported rape to a minor assault.

RICHARD HOWER

YES, THERE WAS THINGS DONE WRONG ON BOTH SIDES OF THIS ISSUE , FIRST OF ALL THIS HAPPENED IN 2002 PATERNO TOLD WHO HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD ,BUT I HAVE A ISSUE WITH MAKING HIM A
CRIMINAL , I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PERSON WHO IS THE ACCUSER
IF HE WAS SO CONCERNED ABOUT THE ABUSE WHERE WERE THE POLICE ? THIS WAS NINE YEARS AGO!!!!!!!! WHERE WAS THIS ONE MOTHERS OUTRAGE NINE YEARS AGO. THE LAST ACCUSER WAITED UNTIL SANDUSKI WAS ARRESTED WHEN DID HIS ABUSE HAPPEN? THEN HE IS ALSO TO BLAME

Glenda in Texas

So sad for the children. :(