« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Retiring After Football Season

'I Wish I Had Done More'

11/9/2011 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_joe_paterno_BN_01
Penn St.
head football coach Joe Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of the current football season ... calling the child molestation scandal, "one of the great sorrows of my life" and saying, "I wish I had done more."

Paterno released a statement saying, "I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

He added, "I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University."

Officials say Paterno had knowledge that former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had allegedly sexually abused a pre-teen boy in the showers in the Penn State locker room back in 2002.

Paterno reported the incident to the athletic director at Penn State -- but failed to notify the police.

The police commissioner says Paterno has not been accused of legal wrongdoing, but claims Paterno did NOT fulfill his "moral responsibility."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

petunias816

i'm sorry but as a parent do you really think that after my kid comes home to tell me about being raped that i'm just going to sit on my hands and let someone tell me they'll call the police?? those parents should have gone straight to the police themselves. who were they protecting?? certainly not their child - so i don't want to hear it.

sky

Obviously anyone who defends these MONSTERS is also a MONSTER and probably also hurting little kids. HANG THEM FROM THE HIGHEST TREE after we cut their balls off.

chaz lane

How does he plan on ending the season with dignity? How can he have any dignity when looking the other way on sexual abuse of children???

Fuck Celebrities

He wishes he had done more because he got caught.

If he really gave a crap, he'd quit now.

ColoradoRob

How could anyone believe anything out of his mouth at this point in time? You know he'll spin it to make it sound like he's a victim also. Everyone's always sorry when they get caught. He had his chance 9-10 years ago to do the right thing and blew it. Now he must suffer the conseqences!

clarkwgriswold

Read GJ report below - all of these monsters will hopefully rot in hell and that includes JoPa ....the man who was aiding and abetting child rape and interstate sex trafficking

(WSCR) You can read the full Grand Jury report from the Jerry Sandusky/Penn State allegations here.

clarkwgriswold

clarkwgriswold

Racecoach

Joe should be held liable - it is a terrible way for him to go out.

In Idaho, when a teacher has a report of child abuse - it is not enough to report the incident.

In addition to reporting the incident - the teacher has to ensure the authorities have been contacted.

Kurtis

The graduate assistant and Paterno both should have reported the incident to the police. The grad assistant should have gone directly to the police before telling Paterno.

If this had been reported right away, Sandusky could have been locked up years ago. Of course, gay activists wouldn't have been happy about this outcome and would have complained about a violation of Sandusky's civil rights, but it should have been done.

DD

Mike McQueary and Joe Paterno need to be charged with a misdemeanor as per Pennsylvania State Code in regards to legally responsible reporters. I do not know how Mike has slept at night for all these years after seeing what he did in the shower that day and the best that he and his dad could come up with was tell Coach Joe? When you are legally responsible to report abuse to the police or CPS you report it. It is an anonymous system if you need it to be. We need folks to follow the law. That is what it is there for, to protect kids. For the university to not pull all access to the campus for Sandusky and have him vacate his office is deplorable and I hope the firings continue up the chain of men who allowed this to happen. Including counsel. He should be reported to the bar as far as I am concerned. AAAAHHHHH!!!

soulofanangel

-----------------------------------------------------
When PATERNO closes his eyes at night, he should see
the fear, disgust, distrust and anger those young boys
felt and what they have to see when they close their
eyes at night.
---------------------------------------------------------
NO Game, NO Season, NO Coach should EVER have more power
than the POWER TO DO THE RIGHT THING, morally, ethically, and in every other "right-way" of human existence.
----------------------------------------------------------

shyone

Ann Pearl Owen
Read the Grand Jury's findings of what was reported and to whom.'

No doubt it describes just the tip of the iceberg of what really occurred.

If Paterno were a good, caring human, he'd want to spend his retirement trying to help the abused boys and their families -- not, as he says, the university.

Bill

All of you need to read the article at the Washington Post at the following address: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/blame-for-the-penn-state-scandal-does-not-lie-with-joe-paterno/2011/11/08/gIQADqMF3M_story.html

If someone came to you and said your neighbor who you have been friends with for 40 years was molesting his 10 year daughter and you confronted him and he said it was BS would you then call the police anyway? Probably not. The only reason Paterno is being singled out is because he is Penn State. All the Blame belongs to Curly, Shultz and Spanier. I by no mean condone Sandusky and think he should suffer the same fate he subjected those kids to in prison by other inmates. But these things happen in all sports and organizations across the country. Check out the Catholic Church and boy scouts. But please read the article. It puts this thing in perspective. Why didn't McQuery stop Sandusky if he walked in on the rape of a 10 year old child? I would have beaten the crap out him right then and there. Please read the article.

kjewett

At first, I voted he should be fired then I read the Grand Jury's Presentment do***ent and I do not believe he should be fired. He told his superiors and thought they were handling it.