Billy Crystal

I'm Hosting the Oscars!

11/10/2011 1:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Crystal
Billy Crystal just announced ... he's replacing Eddie Murphy as the host for next year's Oscars show.

The legendary Academy Awards host tweeted just minutes ago -- "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions. Looking forward to the show."

As we previously reported, Murphy backed out from hosting the show yesterday -- after his friend Brett Ratner resigned from producing it ... following uproar over a homophobic slur Ratner dropped at a film screening.

This will be Crystal's 9th time hosting the Oscars.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Cmoore

I love Billy Crystal for the host. Way funnier than Eddie Murphy. I also loved Hugh Jackman hosting - he was such a talented song and dance man. We do not need to add Whoopie to the mix - she's been there and was not that funny. I like her on the view, but you need a song/dance guy, and Billy's openings are priceless. Good choice.

kraizzd

Ughh he is horribad and cringworthy. Remember him on idol gives back with Miley Cryus he was so stupid...

joe mark

Well Grandpa will be happy. Ratner and murphy was the best way to bring the oscar to young people. it need to be edgy not old hasbeen that we don't care anymore

Different Rules Apply

I will watch the show now - wasn't planning on it, but I LOVE Billy Crystal.. he is fantastic!! Great news.

King Beef

I love Billy Crystal. I might actually watch the Oscars for the first time in years now. I've seen parts of it over the past few years and it has just been horrible when he's not hosting. What I saw of the last Oscars was especially cringe-worthy.

Hamptonsdude

Really? Again? Can we get someone current? These award shows are boring to begin with, now more so because of Crystal.
He was popular in the '80's, now he's in his eighties...

petunia

Billy, we love you to pieces, come back every year. Looking forward to the show. Knock em dead.

Yamiguru

Billy Crystal reciting Bruce Vilanch jokes all night long again.

Barb

I was so disappointed that Eddie backed out of hosting, but am glad that Billy finally, after all these years of turning the Academy down, will be back! Yay! In the future, though, I hope that Eddie will host. He would be great.

cookies

they should have had 1/2 billy and 1/2 eddie.
why can't they ever think outside the box?

edithpitashnick

Billy Crystal is the best host--creative, funny and entertaining. I would like to see someone put together all the openings of the Oscars that Billy hosted. It would be a best seller!

Dave Clark

I'm glad to hear that Billy Crystal is going to host the Oscars. That means I'll watch the whole thing.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5