'Storage Wars' Stars

Uncover Real-Life Pirates' Chest

Filled with $500,000 in Gold

11/13/2011 6:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1111_storage_wars_treasure_EX
The people behind "Storage Wars" just stumbled upon their most incredible discovery yet -- a real-life pirates' chest that's at least 200 years old ... containing half a mil in gold doubloons

Dan and Laura Dotson came across the stash inside a foreclosed storage locker at an auction in Contra Costa County, CA -- which they sold off to one lucky bastard for just over a grand.

The Dotsons discovered the pirates booty after auctioning off the locker -- a small treasure an expert described as "Pieces of Eight Spanish Gold," dating anywhere between the 16th and 19th century.

According to one source, the coin box was so heavy ... it took 3 people to move it out of storage.

We're told an appraisal expert valued the collection at around $500,000. Yo ho ho!

STAYCLASSYSANDIEGO

well who got it?? i hope it was BARRY because rest of them are dorks!

Kaffee

Too good to be true? You betcha! Just hype to get publicity for this show. I don't believe it.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Wow. If only all storage hunters were that lucky. Mostly you have to sift through tons of non-valuables to get the big payoff, then you still have all this other stuff to unload. And who will take the garbage? No one wants it, & some poor soul who couldn't pay their bill may have lost some sentimental items valuable to them.

I guess If you don't mind rolling the dice & have money to burn, it's worth it.

Ginger

What # 1 said. Who won it. I agree, I like Barry the best. Dave is a sourpuss and Jarred is mean to Brandi. Darrell is okay but I prefer Barry.

Philly

This is a fake publicity story. Pirate treasure is not buried in storage units, let alone abandoned ones.

jay

i love the show and the "characters". i love their attitudes and their willingness to take risk. modern day treasure hunters. i am happy for dan and laura. job well done!

Ace

I bet this ends up in court. How could anyone let that go into default knowing the value of what they have.

gibbs

Good for them. Hope story is true.

john

The whole show is staged, just like this was. The producers rent empty units and stage them for the show, falsely making it appear they are auctioned unpaid units - they are not. I know two storage unit managers personally who were contacted by the show to shoot at their facilities who told me the same exact story.

DetroitRocks

No way on earth this is true. If it was true the family of whoever owned it would be suing

Cheryl A.

I hope whoever won it is a part of the show. I mean, a normal, regular person could have won it. As long as it's not Dave it's good.

Bill Leslie

I wi***** had gone to Brandi cause I think I would enjoy seeing her bodacious booby celebration.

KnuckleDragger

It's a cheap reality show...just like the rest of the crap they try and pass off nowadays as entertainment. Does it work? Of course it does...for two reasons. #1: People are too lazy to demand better entertainment. #2: Simple programming amuses simple minds. That right, folks...that's how the public's general mentality has evolved. America is stocked full of stupid, overweight, apathetic, low self-esteem losers nowadays. Get used to it...it's not going to get any better.

Bob

Why would they find "gold" and then picture silver coins? Each worth about $55. If TMZ could tell their arse from their head, they would have passed on this publicity stunt. Kim has an arse of gold, stick with that publicity stunt.

M

odds are its stolen goods...i hope this story finds the rightful owners and they get it back and the winning bidders get it taken away from them by the cops

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments